parking brake cables

Discussion in '1997 - 2003 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by fireman15000, Aug 31, 2016.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. fireman15000

I have a 1997 f150 xlt 4.2 I have ordered the cables and nothing seems to go right cables r short we ordered what the truck called for any sugestions

Tags:
  2. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Wheel base, cab, bed length. All that matters.

56panelford likes this.
  3. fireman15000

We ordered them for 139 in wheelbase 3 door extended cab the rh side cable is short

4. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Have your parts suppliers double check the application. .
    I see missmarked or improper parts often. Brake cables give me fits. Order all options from a local supplier and match your old one.

56panelford likes this.
  5. fireman15000

The problem is the previous owner took out all of the parking brake system so I have nothing to go by

6. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

That sucks. ....,find a good parts house, ask them to order all options for your truck. Tell them your issue. Parts stores here would do that. Get all options, return the improper ones.

56panelford likes this.
  7. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Replaced the parking brake cables on my 155" wheel base 96 F250 XLT Extended Cab and got the right cables first shot out of the bag without problem. The only problem I had was one of the new cables had a "bur" so when you released the parking brake it would hang up just enough to heat up the right rear brake. Got that replaced and had no problem.

Look them up by your VIN# at Ford Parts, http://www.fordparts.com/
    If you are getting post market cables perhaps they have a reference to an OEM Part # they replace.

8. BKW Founding Member

The production date must be known to get the correct front and rear cables.

Production date printed on the upper left corner of the Certification Label.

OldjunkFords and JWC 3 like this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >