Plastic front air dam and 2 steel "horns" just behind the air dam on 2020 F250 Diesel

Discussion in '2017 - 2022 Ford F250+ Super Duty Forum' started by AZOutdoorsman, May 7, 2021.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. AZOutdoorsman

Does anyone know if there is an adverse effect on the truck by removing the plastic front air dam that hangs below the front bumper? The dealership told me it should not be removed, but could not give me a reason why. In looking at my truck, I do see the air dam does cover 2 "horns" that stick down below the frame (I can't figure out what these 2 heavy steel horns are there for or what they might do, by the way, so if anyone knows, please let me know).

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Those are crash brackets, federally mandated for trucks over a certain height.

They keep the truck from climbing up over a car during a collision and crushing people. In particular, a Super Duty can kill a kid or infant in the back seat of a car without these.

There are people who remove them, but I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would intentionally to defeat safety equipment. Plus, it's just begging to get sued if they injure or kill someone in a wreck. Car insurance often doesn't cover the consequences of deliberately defeating safety equipment.

AZOutdoorsman and DonW like this.
  3. DonW

Always wondered why I don’t like lift kits!

4. AZOutdoorsman

Thank you, FTZ HAIC, I don’t want to eliminate any safety features so I will leave those crash brackets in place. Do you have any thoughts on the necessity of the plastic air dam in front of the crash brackets? I can see where the dam masks the crash brackets from view, however, it doesn’t appear to me to have a functional use beyond that. BTW, the photo of your truck is awesome!

5. Tom Slick

The front plastic air dam helps gas mileage. It helps to reduce air rushing under the truck by diverting some of it around to the sides. The only it hurts to remove it is your mileage.

6. DonW

After seeing mine with the airdam 3-4 months since I bought it I'm not sure how I'd like it removed

7. wrencheswild

Well speaking from someone who was travelling above 50 I'd guess and a car blew a light and was coming from my left out in front of me. The collision deployed all the air bags in my platinum 2017 F250 except the passenger curtain. I really can't stress how hard that impact was. Anyway, the safety features of my truck worked excellent. Sounds like there are "horns" on our stock trucks. I never knew they were there but I almost went over his truck with them (if I have them). Anyway here are a couple of pictures. 62124.jpeg #ad
    62126 1.jpeg #ad
    62129 1.jpeg #ad
    20210405_120040 2.jpg #ad
    20210405_120036.jpg #ad
    20210405_120036 2.jpg #ad
    20210404_174701.jpg #ad
    62129 1.jpeg #ad

8. DonW

What a hit! Was the other driver hurt?

9. DonW

I have no problem with the airfoil of horns. If I were going off road I might but then again if I were going off road it would be with something a lot smaller than an F250!

10. wrencheswild

Well, we were both out and walking around immediately. I asked if there was anyone in the car with him cuz I was worried when I saw his car. After about 10 or 15 minutes walking around he got back into his car and waited for the ambulance to get there and take him to hospital. I haven't heard anything to make me think he is NOT ok. Im sure there are still lingering issues for him as well. It was just last month.

11. Biffster

WOW, glad you were okay!

wrencheswild likes this.
  12. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Other than helping with aerodynamics (fuel economy) I don't think they serve a purpose.

Thanks, I've put a ton of work into over the years... a never ending project.

13. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

They are very lucky since their car's cage started collapsing. The ambulance right might have been a precautionary ride they took to check for busted ribs and concussion.

14. wrencheswild

FTZ HAIC
    Based on the "founding member tag" Im guessing FTZ Ford truck Zone... with no disrespect is HAIC Head A@# Hole In Charge? Was just trying to figure how to pronounce it and it dawned on me.

15. DonW

DAMN!!! Naw, heck I'm a LOT bigger A hole than FTZ!!

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >