play in the steering

Discussion in '1961 - 1966 Ford F100, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by GSP, May 3, 2020.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. GSP

I have a 1966 ford F 100 custom cab with 6 cylinder and everything is stock. I was curious about what and where steering parts are available. I replaced the rubber coupling on the steering column, but there is still too much play in the steering. I am looking for a starting point and if the parts are out there.

steve

Tags:
  2. whomrig TOTM Winner Founding Member Southwest Chapter

you can check the steering box for play, and a lot of times, you can adjust the steering box depending on how much wear there is.

3. iicap

Check all links of the steering mechanism. Different ways, while you look underneath have someone move the steering wheel back n forth in the excess play movement. Look starting at the Pitman Arm (arm attached to the output shaft of the steering box) and see if no movement or very minimal, probably the steering box needs adjustment or repair. If movement is instant, then check the drag link and tie rod end ball joints (4 of them) for excess free movement. Next jack up right front wheel ONLY, grab tire at 3 o'clock-9 o'clock positions and push back and forth. There should be no movement, if yes look and see what is loose. Now grab the tire at 12-6 o'clock positions and push, to and away. You are now checking for a worn kingpin or loose wheel bearings. Do the same for the left side, with right front wheel on the ground. You've just checked everything in the steering and you should have found the worn components. Let us know what you find. Cap.

4. fiveseven1957

I was having the same problem so Instead of installing a complete rag gasket which was not available for my 66 I installed a rebuild kit which is leather along with some nuts and bolts. Have not had anymore problems. good luck.

5. GSP

Thanks all who took the time to replay. I started the restoration this summer, and I did the suggested tests and found the steering box to be instant, a great relief. I did find the most play at the center link of the larger rod, probably a half inch with the others very sloppy. I replaced all 4 of the tie rod joints plus installed a steering flange gasket that I made out of an conveyor belt material. The kingpins were actually kinda frozen they only moved a small amount, and it took some real force to get them to move by hand. After cleaning the outside with gasoline and a wire brush, I greased them and then kept trying to move them. Finally a bunch of old grease started coming out, as I pushed in the new grease. Now they move freely, but probably might to be replaced, but they feel tight.

I ended up taking off the outer and inner fenders and painting them; what a difficult job that turned out to be. I plan to reinstall the inner fenders and hook back up the wiring this week.

Would someone have a schematic for the front end components nuts and bolts and general assembly on 1966 custom cap? I believe I have most the bolts correct, but some of them have different washers with sharp hooks and some do not.

Thanks again George

iicap likes this.
  6. iicap

Wow! a busy summer, a lot accomplished, good for you. Your question about the correct and positions of the front end assy hardware, good question, and I don't know. Well I need to know also and I'd be looking for the same as you. Lesson learned for me, from now on take picture with cell phone camera and close up details. I'm doing my 66 over again and 1st time had same problem as you. I just assembled anyway. Not this time, I want to be correct. I THINK there some fastener kits out there specific to vehicles, possibly stainless or coated. I'll be looking.

7. GSP

I have look at the venders that sell the bolts, and they have a nice generic selection. Some of the Mustangs fender bolts look closer to the factory for the F 100. The vendors seem to focus on the grill bolts and the caged huts for the 1966 F 100, and it looks to me if someone purchased the Mustang and F 100 bolts they would be very close to getting a F 100 original. The Vendors mostly sell a course threaded 5/16 by 15/16 bolt long which would work in many application.

Anyways, it would be nice to have a Ford factory parts catalog for 1966 F 100. I am sure it would list location and size of each bolt for resale to customers from the factory. Somebody out there has one plus the engineers would need it to communicate to the builders.

Thanks GSP

8. iicap

Many of us have the parts catalog on disc, as I do. But not very adept at using it. We have had a retired Ford Parts Guru on the Zone and other Forums, Mr. Bill Wilson and he has never hesitated in any requests. I have not seen anything from him here in awhile. A really good guy, I pray he is OK. The bolt dimensions you give sounds about right. The the difference being some with star washers, plain washers and flanged hex heads and where they go. Couple rainy days coming up and that's desk and computer time. I will give an attempt to find some info. Cap

FTZ HAIC likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >