Power steering problems

Discussion in '2004 - 2008 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by kossuth2016, Sep 13, 2018.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. kossuth2016

I have a 2008 F150 5.4 3v with 122,000 miles. Been doing great no major problems till the last couple of months the power steering has started giving trouble. It will become stiff or feel like its skipping when sitting still or rolling really slow (under 5 mph). It had plenty of fluid. Any ideas of what this could be. My booster or maybe the pump. Please help. Thanks

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Is it a feeling the front wheels are jumping when turning sharp going slow? If so and it's a 4x4 one or both hubs have locked up.

Or is it the steering wheel that feels like it's skipping when you turn it?

3. kossuth2016

It's the power steering that feels like its skipping. It does it when I'm at a stop and have to turn my wheels while stoped mostly.

4. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Okay, there's a Ford TSB to diagnose this. At a stop in with the transmission in park, rev the engine to 2000 RPM and turn the wheel. If the steering wheel turns fine than the u-joints on the steering column are rusting and binding. If that's the case try soaking them with penetrating oil, let them soak then grease them up with some axle grease. It may take care of it without having to replace the u-joints.

5. kossuth2016

K thanks I'll try that this weekend

6. kossuth2016

Tried this when I got home. First time truck has been cranked all week. First start it did fine at idle, drove it about 48 miles going home from work. Pulling in the drive it started acting up again, stiff turning till I have it a little throttle then steered just fine right above idle. Pulled up to the house put it in park and done the same test as I did before leaving work. It was really stiff and felt jerky from lock to lock till I apply just a little throttle then it becomes smooth and I can open palm turn it from lock to lock.

Will this be my lower intermediate steering shaft going bad or my power steering pump. Thanks for all your help.

7. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Yeah, that's definitely the steering shaft u-joint binding. When you give it more throttle the pump applies more pressure so it overcomes any binding. I'd try lubricating it before replacement, often that's enough to take care of the problem. I like to use marine grease for stuff like this, it doesn't come off as easily from water exposure.

8. kossuth2016

Ok thanks I'll soak it down in some liquid wrench see if I can free it up. Do they have serviceable u-joints

9. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Not really

10. Dayne.s

Yes they do have service u joints, look for the ones that have the little nipple on it so that every once in a while you can put in new grease and force out the old

11. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I haven't seen zerk grease fittings on the F150's steering shaft u-joints, not OEM or aftermarket.

12. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

I have NEVER seen zerk fittings on small trucks
    They are usually sealed for life.
    Could be I've missed something

13. kossuth2016

I didn't think so but I have seen some drive shafts with them.

14. kossuth2016

Well tried the penetrating oil and it did not work so gonna order a new steering shaft. Hope this works but if not us there any chance it could be my rack and pinion trying to crap out.

15. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Keep us updated, sounds like the joints might have been too far gone.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >