pressing out mustang II cross arms and bushings

Discussion in '1953 - 1956 Ford F100, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by jniolon, Aug 26, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. jniolon Article Contributor Founding Member

pulled all my front suspension to redo... will powdercoat the control arms and springs... which means removing the control arm bushings... lowers were easy... threaded rod and a socket and a couple of washers...

uppers are a different story... the cross arm goes through both control arms... the bushings are pressed into place on each side and the cross arm slides thru the bushings... First my little 6 ton HF press won't let me put the control arm in due to the cross arm being in there... the bottom arbor on the press is welded up as one piece

I could cut the internal braces and seperate the front and back arbors then remove the front arbor...put the control are in between them reinstall the front arbor and bolt it all together... next obstacle ... the rim of the control arm sleeve is only about 3/32" wide... not a lot to apply pressure on...

I put these in before but it wasn't a chore... but forgot how I did it... besides taking them out is a totally different operation.... there is also a fair amount of rust that is holding all this together quite nicely... I tried all my pullers and none will grip that 3/32" rim and press the shaft thru the hole . Fine threads on the cross shaft ends and I don't want to wail on it and screw the pooch...

suggestion needed to remove the bushings and cross arms.... surely some of you are smarter than me and know the answer... pics below for reference...

thanks
    john press.jpg #ad
    Img_0545.jpg #ad

Tags:
  2. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

John, Burn the rubber out with a torch, then just push the bar out. then you can push out the sleeves with the press.
    Once you have it in 2 apart, and cleaned up, go ahead and powder coat it, then push the bushings back in from both ends like you did the first time

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >