Radiator recommendation for 1991 F250 460

Discussion in '1987 - 1991 Ford F150, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by Dad's91F250, Feb 22, 2023.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Dad's91F250

Hello all, I am new to the group. This looks like a great site- I have lurked here often before and found some great advice. Apologies if this has been covered, but I didn't find it in my search; I have a 1991 F250 460 automatic. Always been in the family- it used to belong to my late father. I remember going to the dealership with him back in 1991 to pick it up. I am in the process of restoring it to its former glory, and it seems I can't get the rust out of the cooling system so I'm told I need a new radiator. If this is anything like my 68 Firebird, I know that there are many radiators that will fit in the space, and that retailers are happy to sell to you, but you need the right one to meet the demands of your specific application. (eg, 2 row vs 4 row, transmission cooler, etc....) Does anyone have recommendations for a good radiator from a good supplier, and what a 460 automatic specifically needs? I don't have the budget for Ford OEM, so I'd like to keep it under $300 if I can.

2. captchas

if you have a auto radiator repair shop near by take the old one to them, many times they can rod and clean them out to restore new like operation.
    replacement wise, there are lots of choices sadly they are out of your $300.00 budget for a good one like a walker brand part, the new alloy rad's out, SOME are hit and miss, some good and some not so good,. a example my jeep cj i have installed 3 alloy now, all have leaked from the very same spot .

3. Dad's91F250

Thanks, that is great advice. Actually, yes, there is a radiator shop nearby, and now I remember that is actually how I solved this same problem with my Firebird- I took it to that shop and they re-cored it! Good point about all the cheap stuff out there too. I guess its either re-core or bite the bullet and go with Ford.

captchas likes this.
  4. captchas

upside of a recore is knowing what you have ,

5. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Yup, you'll know 100% its the correct one. :)

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >