Ranger Ranger tech corner

Discussion in 'Ranger, Explorer, Bronco II and Sport Trac Forum' started by OldjunkFords, Aug 25, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

How about we start a thread posting stickies on what we know to be fact on the mechanical/electrical of Ranger models we drive/driven?
    I know a LOT about 83-92, but not so much about 93-2011, and a good deal about SBF swaps in 83-85 (carbed) Rangers.
    Lets start helping each other and those who visit!

Tags:
    Sikerrat and 56panelford like this.
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

If anyone has a source of information for Ranger body parts interchange between generations, I can get Venesa to put something together. You can message it to me if you prefer. :)
    Engine parts interchange would be great too, such as which years have a 3.0L that you can swap into other years including all the parts (intake, etc).

3. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I am sketchy on the 3.0.......
    I know it went from dist. to coil packs in 96, and up from 145hp to 157hp in 2001, so I suppose those are milestones to look for.
    I know it also has a unique bell-housing pattern which makes swaps to 2.3/2.5 or 4.0 V-6 cost prohibitive.

2.8, 2.9, 4.0 all share the same bolt pattern.

56panelford likes this.
  4. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Are we still including Explorers in this group?
    If so, I can join in

56panelford likes this.
  5. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I'm certain YOU would be the go-to guy to start a "Exploder" tech section.
    But we are talkin' bout rangers here, not glorified station wagons........LOL!

There are more than enough differences between the 2 that it would be great to start a separate Explorer tech thread!

56panelford likes this.
  6. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Yes. That includes where it applies to only Explorers... and also where it applies to both. All the knowledge is good!

7. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

I'll probably stay out of here. Dave and I seem to bump heads, and I'm not up for another show down like the other place

8. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

When have we bumped heads?
    I defer to your superior knowledge of Exploders..............I'm skeered of the wife's Limited..........It looks like a electrical nightmare waiting to happen!

56panelford likes this.
  9. NRA4ever Founding Member

Is the 3.0 known for head & valve problems. Mine has 40k on the Ford longblock & has 2 dead cylinders on the passenger side. It's the valves. I need the info on how to repair it as cheaply as possible. I'm think using a rebuilt head is the easiest way to go or have mine rebuilt. I don't want it. It's a gas hog & rough riding. I like full size trucks. It looks good & other than the motor problems everything works. The funds I get from selling it can go into my favorite truck. My F250.

10. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I just went through this on my old 2.8 with burned valves, the machine shop tells me ethanol gas is to blame............higher temps in comb. chamber, eroding valve seats on motors built before E-10/15.

56panelford likes this.
  11. Old 86

Feel the love!

12. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

Not much added in here eh!

13. Scot Founding Member

You can use 3.0 long block out of a Taurus if you pull the heads and use Ranger head gaskets. Taurus engines are cheap on CL.

14. Muel Article Contributor Oregon Chapter

In the planning process of a 5.0L, AOD, NP242-T/C, swap into our 94 4x4...

Have to decide just how I want to do it.

15. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

EFI or carb?

56panelford likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >