Ranger Ranger transmissions

Discussion in 'Ranger, Explorer, Bronco II and Sport Trac Forum' started by Smitty, Feb 4, 2022.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Smitty

Hi, I'm looking to buy a 4 cylinder, 2 wheel drive Ranger. I'd take either an automatic or stick. My question is about the different transmissions. Is there one automatic transmission that's better than the others? Consumer Reports shows that the 2009 Ranger has a great engine, but low ratings on their transmissions, but I know there's lots of different transmissions on these trucks.

Thanks for your help,
    Smitty

Tags:
  2. captchas

welcome to this site
    as to auto trannies there is lots of bull out about them, the transmission should be a 5R55E which is the same as used in many other fords one being the mustang,it is a beefie unit with lots of aftermarket mods available to make them pretty much blow proof,
    yet as to the truck it self, i personally would be more worried about not getting one with a rusted out frame and make sure i could get it on a lift to do a good look over as they like many other brands made around that time frame all suffer major rust issues

Smitty likes this.
  3. Smitty

Thanks, That's good advice. Where would I look for that number on the transmission?
    Smitty

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >