Ranger Ranger with the hic-cups

Discussion in 'Ranger, Explorer, Bronco II and Sport Trac Forum' started by fredinct, Mar 2, 2017.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. fredinct

hello again 2000 ranger 4 liter 4x4 on the way home from work doing about 70 mph on the highway, the engine did a couple of skips, when I took my foot off some it stopped but did it again and the engine light flashed some but when I slowed down a little more it stopped again. it ran ok in a bit it skipped a little more. I hit my exit and hit the back roads it seemed to be ok at the slower speeds, but still had a skip or two, it got more pronounced going up a steep hill. This morning it started rough and chugged a bit but ran, seemed to be better as I drove it to work still had just a rough edge to it but it did the speed limit. seemed smother when I pulled into the yard at work. the whole trip is only 10 miles, never saw the engine light again. What is the diagnosis?
    and yes it is me again the manual hubs work great.

Fred

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Had this same problem on my 2000 Ranger (no longer have it). It was the ignition coil pack. I'd check the spark plugs and if they all look good, suspect the coil pack.

OldjunkFords, dustybumpers and JWC 3 like this.
  3. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

New coil pack on my 'Sploder fixed this too

56panelford and OldjunkFords like this.
  4. fredinct

thanks for the replies, I am going with new plugs and wires and a coil pack from rock auto, I can get everything cheaper then a coil pack at auto zone, probably a lot less then the dealer. wish me luck.

Fred

5. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Make sure to use die electric grease

plug by the heater box will make you cuss

56panelford likes this.
  6. fredinct

on you tube they showed pulling the right front tire to get to that rear plug, does that make the most sense or can you get to it from the top? and thanks for the replies.

Fred

7. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Best to go in from the wheel well, unless you don't like the skin on your arms.....LOL

56panelford likes this.
  8. fredinct

The plugs arrived yesterday, was just investigating how much room there is to work on them, when I discovered the real problem. I was looking at the wires and routing from the plugs to the ignition coil when I noticed one wire on the coil was loose, pulled it off and it was covered with corrosion. Good thing new coil and wires are on the way.

dustybumpers and FTZ HAIC like this.
  9. fredinct

Update- did the plugs, wires and coil pack yesterday. everything went smoothly got all the plugs from the top I guess monkey arms are good except when the knuckles are dragging. I numbered the wires on the coil just 1 2 3 on each side so I could unplug them to change the pack. Did run into one problem after changed toe oil also way past due, and found I do not have the right oil filter for the 2000 truck, made a couple of trips out to civilization could not match it up. Because of the location of the filter I wanted a filter wrench to fit. Originally bought the filter and oil at autozone, when I crawled under for the filter my old loop wrench was too big. but it would fit the new filter. so went back out at least the dog enjoys the rides, went to wall mart to see what there suggested filter was well it was the same size as the autozone one so in the store I am thinking I am nuts so a bought their filter and a socket wrench to fit. got back home and duh that was not the size on my truck. So Back to autozone and they rechecked the numbers and it was the big one, we looked at other years in that era and finally looked at the 3.0 and that was smaller. bought that and the wrench well still to big. filled it with oil and have to figure this out soon.

10. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

What filter are you trying to use?

11. fredinct

I have no idea at this moment what filter is on there. I will need to get the existing one off and match it with what ever fits. My filter wrench is too big and until I can borrow a set of filter wrenches to fit it properly I am in the dark.

12. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

If it's a 4.0 ohv..............FL1A
    4.0 SOHC............FL802

56panelford likes this.
  13. fredinct

thanks for the info but both of those are bigger then what is on there now. the diameter is about the size of the inside of a roll of duct tape. hey it was on my work bench and was close to the right size.

14. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Sounds like a FL-400s

56panelford likes this.
  15. fredinct

that sounds closer to the outer diameter, at 2.98. any thoughts on why I have a weird size filter?

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >