Re-sealing the cowl on a 80-96 f series

Discussion in '1987 - 1991 Ford F150, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by dustybumpers, Feb 2, 2016.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Over time, the seam sealer cracks, and sometimes rust starts in the cowl area of the trucks, so we need to go in and stop some fresh water leaks.

Usually these leaks show up as water through the heater box, or on the carpet area at the top of the floor
    Many times, the leak is mistaken for a heater core problem. Sometimes, a windshield problem

I usually take the cowl panel off without removing the windshield trim, because the trim bends, and damages so easy, but if you find it to be easier for you, you can remove the trim.

Start with removing the windshield wipers
    062.JPG #ad

063.JPG #ad

Notice that the wiper arm can be placed at any spot on the shaft, so when putting them back, make sure that they don't hit the trim when in operation. You may want to mark the arm and shaft for proper "clocking"

Remove the 4 screws in top of the cowl
    064.JPG #ad

remove the antenna and it's componants
    065.JPG #ad

066.JPG #ad

067.JPG #ad

068.JPG #ad

Unscrew face screws on cowl 069.JPG #ad

Use caution on the hood seal, it does not take a lot of abuse to damage it 070.JPG #ad

the air conditioner hose brackets slide sideways at the top, dropping the hose down, taking the weight off , Set the bracket aside

071.JPG #ad

The windshield washer hose is here above the wiper motor, and must be unhooked, once the panel comes up about 3"
    072.JPG #ad

Once all screws are removed, you can partially close the hood, and 2 people can wiggle the panel out.Scrape off the old weather strip, and remember where you are going to replace it
    073.JPG #ad

I forgot to take a picture of removing the plate that covers the wiper motor. It is held down with 2 screws

074.JPG #ad

Here you can see where the seam sealer has seperated from the seam
    075.JPG #ad

Sanded, and a rust inhibiter has been applied 076.JPG #ad

083.JPG #ad

084.JPG #ad

I used a paint stir to push the sealer where I couldn't reach with the gun.
    It is self leveling, so it lays down smoother than the picture shows

085.JPG #ad

Replace your wiper plate
    Install your new weatherstrip. Glue only on 1 side

086.JPG #ad

Put your panel back in reverse of how you removed it

087.JPG #ad

Tags:
  2. TinyWonder Oregon Chapter Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Great write up Charlie!

dustybumpers likes this.
  3. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Thanks Tiny. I did part 2, which also applys to your superduty, it has the same drain

4. SpringerPop Vet Zone Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Charlie,

"enhibiter" is actually "inhibiter". It might be easier for you to edit your post instead of the mods. Dunno.....

A very comprehensive, detailed, how-to!

Pop

dustybumpers likes this.
  5. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Fixed it Charlie.

dustybumpers likes this.
  6. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Mind if I make this an article? It's perfect as is, would make a great resource! (I'd leave a redirect here so people would see it both in the forum and the article sections).

7. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

8. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

The computer I wrote it on crashed Pop, so I couldn't spell check it, that's why I had the mods fix it. Thankx

As always Ken, anything I write is to be used how you see fit. Make sure to get part 2

Thanks Jim for the help, and posting part 2.

BTW everyone, this was all written for Jim.......

9. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Good stuff, Charlie!
    I'm going to have to do the drain cleaning thing.............damn cedar tree.

10. Old 86

Another Homer Simpson moment. Dooogh! No wonder the heater core only leaks when it rains, and the coolant level stays full.%) This info saved me at least an afternoon of unnecessary heater core replacement, it has A/C, and a cuss fest that could embarrass a sailor.:sorrysign: Thanks for posting. Old 86

captchas likes this.
  11. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

12. DaisyTx

Thanks, Man! This and the clean out post are exactly what I have been needing to see.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >