Rear brake calipers

Discussion in '2009 - 2014 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by paredneck33, Aug 30, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. paredneck33

KIMG0114.jpg #ad
    So last weekend I was performing my annual pre-PA. state inspection, inspection. I like to do this to ensure KIMG0114.jpg #ad
    there are no surprises when I have the inspection done. Especially when taking the vehicle to someone I don't know or deal with often. That way if they comeback to me and tell me the truck needs ball joints because they are worn out . I can tell them I don't think so and here's why, as I leave to never return. And yes this has happened to me in the past. And being a collision tech. I know how to check things like that properly. But I found on my 2011 F 150 4x4 something I've never seen before and was hoping that someone could shed some light on. On the top bolt for the rear brake calipers there is what appears to be some sort of a solenoid that is apart of the bolt head. It looks as though in order to remove the bolt to change the rear pads on the truck that you would need to use an open end wrench as there is no way to get a boxed end or a socket onto the bolt head. My truck has the off road package with the E-locker rear diff. However there is no electrical connection that goes into the solenoid. (If that is what it really is) I hoping someone can tell me what this part is and does. KIMG0113.jpg #ad

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

It's a low frequency noise damper. Helps prevent brake groan and squeal noises

3. paredneck33

Oh ok thanks Ken. Is there anything special I should know about it before I do a brake service on the truck, so that I don't damage anything?

4. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

5. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

I want one on my E 450!!!!!!
    That truck drives me nuts!
    Thanks for the link Ken

6. Test User

This is Ken, have to use my test account because I am on the road and I don't remember my admin password. Nothing special with that, you can just remove it with a crescent wrench and put it back on the same way.

7. F350-6 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

I've never heard of a damper on a caliper slide pin bolt, but I guess it's a big enough thing now to be both factory and aftermarket? Or is the one in the pic aftermarket too?

8. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

The picture is aftermarket, its an upgrade part some brake places are selling now. I don't know 100%, but I'd believe it's stock on the 2011. NVH (noise vibration harshness) is a huge priority with Ford, when I toured the NVH facility many years ago (10+) some of the things they tested for where amazing. They'll have the truck loaded with microphones all over the place looking for sounds. I'll bet they've advanced even more since then.

Even though some sounds are "normal" I bet it's a huge hassle and expense when someone brings a car/truck in for a warranty complaint because of some noise.

9. F350-6 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

On another note, that pic looks like you're still running factory shocks after all these years. Ride usually improves 100% when you finally get around to changing those.

10. paredneck33

The one in the picture of my truck is stock. As in it is a Ford part. But for all I know it could have been added at a dealership during the PO's tenure with the truck.

11. paredneck33

Yes they are the OE shocks. And I'm quite happy with how this truck rides. If anything it's a little too soft for my liking. But that's what the masses want these days.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >