Rear brake question

Discussion in '1992 - 1996 Ford F150, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by FussyFord, Mar 7, 2020.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. FussyFord

I have a 96 F350 dually. I bought this truck last summer and it ran fine during the test drive. We had no trouble until September/October when we heard noise from the front brakes. Went to change the calipers and brake pads and discovered we needed new rotors because they were warped. When we replaced the rotors we replaced the wheel bearings too. Everything was fine until a week ago when my daughter went to move the truck into the garage from being parked outside and the drivers side locked up going forward. In reverse it moved but was grabbing. We got it parked in the garage and started on it the next day. It took a couple of days to get the drum to come off. Once off it was obvious that the drivers side had been overworked.

The brake shoes were silky soft to the touch like glass they were so shiney with cracks and chips taken out of it. The drum had a mark from the shoe on it. The wheel cylinder was replaced along with the emergency brake cable, the brake shoes, the brake hardware, and the drum. We spent a couple of days working the drum off the passenger side and it was bad. The self-adjuster was just laying in the bottom of the drum (it fell onto the ground when the drum came off). The brake shoes were rusted into place on the top and the wheel cylinder was a goner. When I pulled the plungers one side popped off the rubber part and it looked like mini gravel in it. We cleaned everything up and replaced the wheel cylinder, brake hardware and the brake shoes. This drum will be replaced in 2-3 months after my bank account comes off life support.

We started bleeding and adjusting the brakes and the drivers side is working well however the passenger side is not doing well. The front brake shoe is expanding like it's supposed to but the rear is refusing to budge until we pull on it then it'll move a bit then get stuck again. We have no idea why it's doing this. Everything is brand new. We cleaned everything up to ensure it's in good shape but can't get that one to work.

My question is what could it be from? Could this be a bad wheel cylinder or a bad brake hardware piece? Could the rust from before be causing this issue?

I can get pictures tomorrow but it's to late today.

Thank you in advance for any help you might be able to give me. :)

Tags:
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >