reliable complete tag decode link?

Discussion in '1973 - 1979 Ford F100, F150, F250-F350 Truck Forum' started by fomocolife, Dec 13, 2017.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. fomocolife

is there a reliable complete 73-79 tag decode
    site?
    i looked on the usual one everybody links to
    and i cant make sense of some codes i was given plus there seems to be missing data

thankyou

Tags:
  2. BKW Founding Member

Decode the info using the 1973/79 Ford 100/500 Truck Parts Catalog, available on a C/D from hipoparts.com

Or, post a pic of the Warranty Plate & Safety Standard Certification Label, or type the codes...and I'll decode all of the info.

11+ years on Ford truck sites, I've decoded over 1,000 Rating/Warranty Plates/Certification Labels.

JWC 3 likes this.
  3. fomocolife

thanks. as long as you have the correct full key/table/codes a poorly trained chimpanzee can
    decode them

infact " de coding" sounds more impressive than it actually is. this isnt zodiac killer stuff and as a poorly trained chimpanzee myself
    i have decoded plenty of various brands but sometimes theres missing info or unusual codes.

if it helps anyone there are some decode tables in the lmc catalogue too but not all of them.

maybe they gave me the wrong codes ??? i will ask again and re check
    thanks again!

in the meantime here they are if anybody wants to check. im wanting to work out front AND rear axles and body codes

axles
    24J
    22N
    B4A

body type
    BTM
    CA4
    more to come
    thanks!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  4. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Come on man, that's not very nice

You ask for help, Bill is the go to guy for this on ALL the sites, he came along, and you chastised him
    You made a coment in another thread about very few people responding in that thread
    Think about that

Bill is a big asset to all the sites, and I think I want to thank him, not tell him he's a trained monkey

JWC 3 likes this.
  5. fomocolife

im sorry guys i really wasnt calling Bill a monkey i was pointing out how simple it is to decode this stuff as long as anybody has the FULL and CORRECT info at hand
    but.. i DID refer to myself as a poorly trained chimp and i wasnt offended hahaha!
    and i am
    gratefull for help. the other comment was just me making an observation that it seems to be just 2-3 people here actively responding not any type of complaint.
    sorry if any of that offended anybody that wasnt the intention.

JWC 3 and dustybumpers like this.
  6. BKW Founding Member

It would help if you had posted the year and series of these trucks. First two digits of the Body code are year specific.

LMC's VIN decoders aren't worh two cents, are rife with errors and omissions.

White 97 XLT, Fabman and JWC 3 like this.
  7. fomocolife

Thanks Bill i share your frustration
    the trucks are 73\79 as per this forum area but are 78\9 f250
    Afaik.
    Yes its frustrating when places or people spout info or put out info with authority like its accurate when its not even correct and you go to these "experts" or professional outlets
    Hoping to learn something new the problem is made worse sometimes by they're ego not allowing them to say that they don't actually know so then its magnified by the next person
    Armed with they're new knowledge they accepted without question then spreading the bs even further add some Chinese whispers and the internet or a few beers and before long this bs is gospel!
    Maybe its been done? But a good decode table could be added edited verified
    And placed as a sticky on here? That would save some wrong Misleading info being spread and free up space from posts like this.

8. Michael

VIN TAG.jpg #ad

The PPO just found this tag for my vehicle and is mailing it. He indicated that this was attached to the firewall. Decode this!

9. Michael

Well, can anybody decipher the tag above? After two days of research on the internet, I need a beer! The door vin decal is incomplete and missing some details.

10. hellgoblin

If you find out how to decode this let me know I have one I would like to decode also. Thanx

11. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

F25 = F-250
    S = 8 cylinder, 400 cubic inches
    R = Assembled in San Jose
    Y87740 = 1977, 87740 production sequence = 387,740 (O = 0 - 99999, X = 100000 - 199999, Y = 20000 - 29999, Z = 300,000 - to 399999 but ends at 325,000 total)
    133 = 133 inch wheel base
    4 = styleside bed
    B = color code dark jade metallic
    A = 4 speed manual NP435 transmission
    15 = read Ford axle, 3.25 ratio
    J = front Ford axle with power steering

12. hellgoblin

The VIN is on that tag

13. hellgoblin

I have an uncle that’s in auto body I’m going to ask him when I see him. I know he goes to this tag for paint codes

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >