Remote Engine Starter

Discussion in '1957 - 1960 Ford F100, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by Troca57, Sep 12, 2022.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Troca57

Can you use a 2 wire remote starter switch to simulate starting an engine by way of the old screwdriver starter/solenoid procedure?

Tags:
  2. iicap

Don't see why you can't. One wire on battery POS + and the other wire on the S terminal of the starter solenoid. If you leave the I terminal hooked up, on a Ford solenoid, the engine will/can start and quickly shut off as you let go of the remote starter button.

3. Troca57

Let me rephrase my question, regardless of whether you use the old screwdriver/solenoid trick or a remote starter, do both procedures require the ignition switch working and in the “on” position in order for the engine to actually fire/start?

4. iicap

Yes, If You Want It To Keep Running. Referring to a 1957 Ford Truck and other years, there is an ignition resistor, probably on the firewall, that reduces voltage to ignition coil to prevent the points having a short life. The wire feeding the resistor comes from the ignition switch. The "I" terminal wire on the solenoid, provides "full battery voltage" to the resistor, (coil side terminal) only when the solenoid is engaged to aid in easier starting. Those resistors don't have any special terminal markings, you can't hook it up wrong.
    Cap

Troca57 likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >