Removing mold from vents

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by mete, Jul 4, 2017.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. mete

My '09 F150 now has a mold in the vents that I am allergic to. Is there a way to remove it using 'natural ' things like baking soda , etc rather than cleaners that will just add another problem ?

Tags:
  2. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Vinegar kills mold. I've used it before with good results . Try it in a new spray bottle.

3. mete

I might try ozone generators . Any ideas ?

4. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

will work, BUT, you have to find, and fix the cause of the mold first

JWC 3 likes this.
  5. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Some detail shops offer that service.

6. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Theres a foam spray you can get for this. Because it foams up it expands to fill out all the nooks and crannies, killing it all.

7. mete

Ordered a Jenesco ozone generator. There seemed to be no other problem like plugged drain from A/C [water on floor ] I assumed pollen had collected and that got moldy. Have lots of allergies so foam etc , is not a choice Will let you know !

8. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Best of luck!

9. captchas

there are special spray cleaners out for cleaning mold out of a/c units in cars that work very well. Walmart sells them in the auto section, personally I use good old fashioned ly-soil , Clorox or pine sol in mine for the same reasons as you, allergy's . the sprays I find easier but not last as long,
    big reason for mold build up in the a/c, heater system is they don't drain fully then as they dry out the stinky mold builds up in the bottom of the case ,dirt.dust build up in the vent tubes is another, pre cabin filter cars seem to suffer more as dust also builds up in the case bottoms, sometimes to where they clog up the drain tubes

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  10. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Leaves get in there too.....

11. captchas

yep they do,even in auto's with cabin filters. every time i open the hood of the escape the upper screen is clogged to where the air compressor is need to blow them away, then even as fine as it is the cabin filter is also clogged.
    to keep the stink down i pull the cabin, blow in what ever i have to disinfect the unit let it sit, reinstall the ouch $$$ filter.

12. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

The one problem with an ozone generator is it kill the mold but not get rid of it. And when water condenses on the mold, it's a feeding ground for new mold. I'd get it cleaned out by someone else, then air it out, then use the ozone generator to prevent future mold.

13. mete

" cleaned out by someone else " is fraught with dangers for me !
    I don't know if I said this here before but the " allergy rate and cancer rate in this country have increased 20 % in just 10 years " !!!

14. mete

In my search I found an answer.
    First the Ozone machine is not guaranteed if used a above 60 % humidity !! That'll go back as summer next to the river low humidity is a dream !
    What has worked is this . Apparently the MAX A/C setting always leaves moisture in the system ! If you are using MAX A/C then when you stop switch to regular A/C for a few minutes before turning engine off. That will remove the moisture .
    To first clear the system they gave no times so here's what I did. 30 minutes full heat ! then 30 minutes heat + regular A/C. It worked !!
    This is so easy try it first .If it doesn't work try another method ! :)

JWC 3 likes this.
  15. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

You can get an "after blower module " for some vehicles. It runs the fan for a few minutes after you turn off your vehicle. It is ment to inhibit mold growing. .... you should look into it for your truck.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
virtuoso