Removing smog controls

Discussion in '1973 - 1979 Ford F100, F150, F250-F350 Truck Forum' started by cobradavid, Sep 26, 2016.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. cobradavid

New forum member here. I'm considering buying a 78 F150 Ranger with the 351M engine. What is involved in getting rid of the smog controls? As an antique vehicle, it won't need to pass smog tests in my area, so I'd like to get rid of the power-robbing stuff.

Another option running around in my brain (if I end up with this truck) is to swap out the engine for a built 302. Would the frame engine mounting points line up for a 302W?

Thanks,
    Cobradavid

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Moved to it's own thread instead of the thread it was in, this is it's own topic.

3. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

to put a 302 in you will also need a different transmission if automatic, or bell housing if manual. the 302 and 351M do not share the same bell bolt pattern.
    to eliminate the EGR on a 351M, the easiest way is to switch the intake for a 4 barrel manifold and carb and just put an EGR block off plate on it, or get a non EGR manifold.
    the advantage of dumping the 2 barrel for the 4 barrel is once you open the exhaust up to 3 inch like the "Y" pipe is and advance the timing a bit it will run much better and get better gas mileage.

4. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

The cam is lazy on a smog engine too. might benifit from buying a 'kit" that includs cam, intake and carb. Some kits even come with chrome valve covers and a chrome air cleaner

OldjunkFords likes this.
  5. BKW Founding Member

Same engine perches aka towers/stands/supports: 1969/79 F100 302; 1975/79 F150 302; 1977/79 F100/350 351M/400 2WD

6. Muel Article Contributor Oregon Chapter

Having experienced this swap, it is still not one that I would contemplate.
    If the same amount of money is spent on each "Built" engine the larger engine will deliver better performance.

Just my aught two.

7. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

EGR is basically free octane, can actually help part throttle efficiency (your highway mpg goes up) and is typically not the cause of power loss, just like the PCV pollution system doesn't rob power. Its the lazy timing, cams and the old style catalytists (modern converters flow really good).

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
virtuoso