Removing stainless trim around the windshield, back window, and drip edge.

Discussion in '1967 - 1972 Ford F100, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by Pushmower, Jan 4, 2024.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Pushmower

I am stripping my cab to put the parts on another cab. Is there a special tool or technique to remove the trim?
    All replies and advice will be appreciated.

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

They are press fit in. On my 67 I used one of those little plastic body pry tools. You can can an assortment of them on Amazon cheaply. Once you get an end coming out, it comes out very easy the rest of the way.

3. Pushmower

Thank you for the info. I don't want to damage the trim or the cab. The next owner of the cab will have enough work without doing that.
    That leads to another question.
    How far gone is too far gone when it comes to cabs?
    My original cab definitely needs driver and passenger floors and front cab mounts.
    I have removed everything to install it on the cab I got to replace it. It will still have the front and rear windshields.
    Where can I sell it, and what is a fair price?
    Of course I appreciate all advice and comments.

4. Oldiesask

Ditto what HAIC said for drip rails, but use the tool all the way around, if you just get it started, then pull you will warp it. The windshield chrome comes out better if you remove the windshield, trying to pry an end up is risky, but if you must, spray a lot of lubricant into the groove. Selling a rusted cab may not bring you much more than scrap value, unless someone near the coast wants the roof for patching, so you may need to cut and ship.
    Hope your new cab road trip was enjoyable.

5. Pushmower

It was a very enjoyable trip. Everything went very smoothly. No mechanical or weather issues at all.
    I didn't get to take the pictures of the yard like I wanted. The employees believe the pictures on their site are sufficient.
    The yard I picked up the cab from is much smaller than I expected. There is another yard that is much larger.
    That being said, the quality of the parts is awesome! I ended up getting inner fenders, and a radiator support too.
    I will go to my local scrap yard and see if he wants to add my old cab to his collection. That way it may be seen by someone who can use it, and it will be out of my barn.
    I had some of the plastic pry tools that I had used on a fox body a while back. I used one to work my way around on the drip edge.
    I probably ruined the first piece beyond repair, but I got the hang of it and the rest came off pretty well.
    Without the tips from you guys, I know this project would be much more difficult. Thank you for the help!
    I also met a guy in Kansas that noticed what was on my trailer. He stopped and we had a great conversation about Ford trucks.
    He mentioned that he owned several, so I asked him if he wanted to sell parts. He said he wasn't selling but his friend may have some power steering parts he would part with.
    I will give it a month to let my wallet recover from the trip, then I will see if we can make a deal.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >