Removing top layer of paint from entire truck

Discussion in '1967 - 1972 Ford F100, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by FNG72F250, Jun 11, 2023.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. FNG72F250

Hello,

I recently powerwashed my truck and was able to take off the top coat of white paint revealing its original cream color underneath. I’d like to strip the white of the rest of the truck but keep the original cream paint under neath. Any preferred methods? I tried 0000 steel wool and break cleaner and that took it off in a small area, but it’s a full size truck and that will take a lot of break cleaner.

thanks

2. RP67F100

3. RP67F100

Not a painter of any kind , but I would think wet sanding with 800 or 1000 grit and then buffing after would do the job

4. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

A professional light cut compound with a random buffer will do it and is made for this kind of thing. Its going to be a ton of work to get it right sanding and/or compound. I would not take brake cleaner to paint - that's a good way to accidently ruin the paint underneath.

5. Oldiesask

Get a bigger power washer! Seriously though, the paint should not peel like that, so it was poorly applied, that may work in your favour. I would try getting some really sticky tape and "wax it" like body hair, then use the 1000 grit for the stubborn parts that are left. Be warned, that paint was applied for a reason, and you may find bodywork underneath.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >