replacing battery cable on f250 7.3

Discussion in '1997 - 2003 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by sandtaz, Nov 1, 2016.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. sandtaz

I have a 2000 F250 with 7.3 and need to replace the positive cable end on the passenger side battery. Is this a good idea or should I shell out the big bucks and replace the entire cable setup? Thanks.

Tags:
  2. Campspringsjohn Founding Member

Well, it probably won't make as great of a connection as the one cable with the two connectors made into it. But for the difference in price, I'd try it first and see if it works!

3. sandtaz

I guess that I was leaning that way. Just looking for other views. Thanks.

4. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

9 times out of 10 you'll usually only have big corrosion on the battery side of the cables, along with most of the wear there.

5. macman_85602

I built the cable on my old IDI with 0/1 Welding cable a lot cheaper then buying the stock cable just need to look after it a little bit i put lugs on mine with the wingnut style terminals easy to work with and cheap whole setup was about $25 for materials.

FTZ HAIC likes this.
  6. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Yeah, GM wanted $65 for the positive battery cable setup for my 2000 Camaro! Did it myself instead.

7. F350-6 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

When the cable ends on my 02 corroded a few hundred thousand miles ago I replaced them with some aftermarket ends. Seems to be working so far, but I can't comment on them lasting much past another 300,000 miles or so.

So proceed at your own risk. ;)

Campspringsjohn likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >