Rotor removal assistance need plus front dif ID help needed

Discussion in '1973 - 1979 Ford F100, F150, F250-F350 Truck Forum' started by Jigsawman, Nov 20, 2021.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Jigsawman

Hi,
    I have a 1978 Ford F250 that I am trying work on. I need to remove the front rotors but the front end is just giving me some trouble. Let me first start out by saying that there is no useable VIN on this truck. California has given it a new VIN well before my time and I couldn't tell you what the old one even was. The front diff does not have a tag. I have showed the following pictures to another person who is supposed to know Dana differentials and he says it sure looks like a Dana 60 even though that's not what was equipped on F250's. I have removed everything within the hub, snap rings, both spanner nuts (as I know them), the outer bearing and other odds n ends for the lock mechanism. Right now the rotor wobbles and something is absolutely still holding it in place. It won't budge. First gorilla thoughts are to use a puller or slide hammer to pull it off, but I doubt anything good could cme from that if there is something still in place holding it in.

Can someone look at my images and tell me what differential this might be? The sub hub think right after the locking mechanism cap is perplexing. I can't find a picture in any schematics anywhere. So no idea what kind of diff this is. Also any ideas on how to get that rotor off? Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    JSM 20211112_152221.jpg #ad
    20211114_143144.jpg #ad
    20211113_165413.jpg #ad
    20211113_165859.jpg #ad
    20211114_143156.jpg #ad

Tags:
  2. iicap

Jigsawman, Welcome to FTZ. You have done all to remove the Rotor and Hub. The inner wheel bearing is stuck, rusted to the spindle. If you are going to replace the rotor new you can do whatever it takes to get it off. Right now the only thing holding it is the wheel seal. When you force the rotor/hub off, the bearing and seal will stay on the spindle. Removing the bearing and seal depends, you may ruin the bearing, it might be as bad as carefully cutting the bearing with oxy/accetylene torch.

There are complete bearing, wheel seal kits available online if you search. Or get from your local Auto Parts Store.

Let us know how you make out.

3. Jigsawman

Got it. Thanks. One other question if I might. The locks on this truck are pretty crappy. Because I do not know what type of diff this really is, how would I know what kind of new lockers to purchase for it? I have not been able to find a single picture of this additional bolted on piece that is in place right after the locking mechanism on the very end of the hub.
    JSM

4. iicap

More clarity needed on, "The locks on this truck are pretty crappy" ??? The Lock Out Hubs ?? The Locks that secure the wheel bearings???

The Front axle ass'y is a Dana/Spicer. See if this helps you.

https://torqueking.com/category/1977-5-1979-ford-f250-dana-44-identification/

Also, If you look and clean with wire brush, very light sanding, on top of the Right side frame, sorta just rearward of the motor mount weldment you may find the original VIN # for the truck. If you find, post it and we can tell you some of how the truck came from the factory. It could be ground away as a new VIN was assigned to the truck.

5. Jigsawman

Yes the lockout hubs. Thanks for the info on the VIN.

6. iicap

Jsm, sorry delay getting back to you. On the Lock out hubs. If you feel the OEM Spicer hubs cannot be cleaned up and used with, say new O'rings, then why not try and get a set of these new.
    Not knowing what you have to work with, I, fortunately have a container of old style carburetor cleaner and I would put all the hub parts, except rubber or plastic, if any involved, in to strip clean them, examine and try to use them. There might be a service kit with O'rings and gaskets, maybe even new chrome dress rings, an online search might yield.

7. Jigsawman

No worries. I was not sure if I actually needed to replace any of that. I just was not sure what to replace them with. I do not see anything online that even resembles them at all.
    JSM

8. iicap

I think the write up in the link I sent you, said they were Spicer, BUT looking at them they look like made by Warn. Not uncommon for a Mfg to make for other parties the same thing, just branded differently. Spicer was not in the Lock Out Hub business, but with Spicer suppling THOUSANDS of axles to Ford any given year and Lock Out Hubs were an OPTION, I'd think the assembly line had 2 axle stock piles, one with hubs, the other without. Don't think they would take the time to add them there, not a 1 minute job.

9. Jigsawman

Ok, I understand. Thanks :)

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >