Running Boards

Discussion in '2004 - 2008 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by F350-6, Oct 20, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. F350-6 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

Looking for pics of how your running boards mount on an F150, preferably in the 2008 flavor. Anyone with AMP powersteps would really be a plus, but I'd settle for anything as a start.

Just picked up an 08 Expedition and am looking to put powersteps on it, but they don't make them in the aftermarket variety, and getting factory ones cost almost as much as the vehicle. If the Expedition is similar enough to the F150, I'm thinking of just getting the kit for the 150 and adapting it to fit.

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

2004-2008 F150 all used the same mounting. I don't have a set on my truck, but I have installed them when I had my shop back in Georgia. Most of the aftermarket install exactly like the factory bars/boards because the mounting holes are right there for them.

This video shows them, it's exactly as I remember installation when we sold Westin bars (same as factory but didn't have "Ford" on them:

F350-6 likes this.
  3. F350-6 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

Thanks Ken. That sure does appear to be the same hole and bolt configuration as the AMP powersteps use to mount on the F150. Guess I just need to crawl under the Expedition now and see what kind of mounting holes are on there.

Probably gonna be Saturday before I can get to it, but I may be back asking questions on spacing and such, although the step platform mounts onto the bracket in a manner that is adjustable so that my not matter.

4. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I'm going to assume the only difference between the Expedition and F150, if there is a difference at all - is the location of the rear set of holes. Even the 2009+ F150 has the same type of mounting holes, the difference there is also the location of the rear set, since the cab is slightly longer than the previous generation.

If you want I can measure the distance between the holes on mine tomorrow, I have a Supercrew, which is going to be the closest thing to Expedition door layout. I bet holes could be tapped in if you need them, worse case.

5. F350-6 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

I don't think I'm worried too much about spacing yet. The AMP powersteps I've installed on Super Duty's are fully adjustable at the point where the bracket mounts to the step. Sliding a couple of feet either direction wouldn't hurt anything but balance and support.

I won't know more until I crawl under the Expedition, and shocks have to come first, but I'm guessing my next step will be to track down the wiring diagrams to see if they're the same between the Expedition and F150. Of course the instructions for the install on my wife's Super Duty had some wiring colors wrong so I ended up having to use the meter to find the right trigger wire on the rear door.

6. F350-6 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

Just got around to looking at this. My biggest concern right now is the distance between the body mounting holes and the frame. Anyone have powersteps on a F150?

If not, can someone give me a measurement from the frame to the pinch weld at the bottom of the cab. Looks to only be around 6" on the Expedition, with a possible relocation of the parking brake cable being required. The Super Duty has a bracket that folds back 10" - 11" so either the F150 is shrunk down and will work, or I've guessed badly about how easy this would be.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >