Rust Removal

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Greywolf, Mar 26, 2016.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

To start with, here's a guy from Australia (I think...) with a method of removing rust -
    WITH MOLASSES! (1 part in 9 of water)

There is a part 2 to the video that should follow on.

Next trick is a tank that uses electrolysis. 1 TBSp baking soda or washing soda per gallon of water, with an iron or steel anode connected to the positive side of a battery charger - the negative is connected to the part to be cleaned.

This guy goes a bit to overkill, but the principle is the same.

I hafta admit -the guy will put ya to sleep, but the method and the tank he made was about as good as it gets.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
    Tags:
  2. Fabman In Memoriam Vet Zone Staff Alumni Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I use the electrolysis system Dutch and have for the last ten years or so. I did a "how to" thread back at the old place. I have a 300 gallon tank and can do fenders, hoods, etc. If anybody would like to see my system I can post some pictures.......

Greywolf likes this.
  3. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

Do a VIDEO!!!

:clap:anim

4. Fabman In Memoriam Vet Zone Staff Alumni Oregon Chapter Founding Member

If I can find the time........

5. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

Videos are ten times faster than posting up pics and explaining them - that was another reason I wanted to go there so bad.

*Unless you're like the guy in the Texasknowhow video, and everyone wishes you would just spit out what needs to be said.

6. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

i use phosphoric acid solution mainly ospho.
    much faster and easier to use. spray it on and let it dry.
    it converts the rust from iron oxide to iron phosphate, and it is ready to prime and paint as soon as it dries.

Greywolf likes this.
  7. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

I'd love to have that car that's on that trailer, rust and all..lol

8. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

9. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

not really. naval jelly if i remember correctly just dissolves the rust.
    a phosphoric acid solution like ospho converts rust from iron oxide to iron phosphate, and the treated area metal will not rust again.
    ospho is very similar to the metal conditioner used by metal treatment companies like eastwood and Por-15
    properly treated and dried, the metal turns a matte black color. then it is ready to prime and paint.
    i did a test on a piece of 1/8 diamond plate that was sitting behind the body shop for years.
    it has been around ten years now, and it is just starting to loose it's black color on the treated area. the rest of the plate is almost completely rotted through though.
    i treat all rusted metal with ospho before painting, especially frames. what i do is pressure wash to get the rust scale off, then spray it on with a weed sprayer set to mist. i also usually give it 2 applications to make sure everything gets treated, waiting 2 days between applications. then i let it sit 2 days to make sure everything is dry before priming with red oxide primer. then paint.
    for frames, i use rustoleum industrial red oxide primer and rustoleum industrial gloss black paint cut 35-40% with acetone and sprayed on with an old gun. usually 2 coats primer and 2-3 coats paint. this treatment is usually good for 10or so years up here with the heavy road salt used on the roads in the winters.

10. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

I use red beets ground up in a blender to do what Tom does. It is the same thing, only a natural process.
    Paint it on with a brush, let it do it's job. it may take a few days, keep hitting with a wire brush, and applying more solution.
    when finished, wash off with a hose, and blow off with a air hose. let dry in the sun, maybe help it along with a heat gun, and hit it with rust inhibitor before the sun goes down. You have to get some kind of paint on it before the dew gets on it, or it will rust immediately

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >