Rusty Problems...

Discussion in '1980 - 1986 Ford F150, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by RustyTruckGal86, Jun 12, 2017.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. RustyTruckGal86

Hi y'all.

Well, I've had my rustbucket back for awhile and actually had what started as a successful run around town with my best friend then we stopped and got gas. And that's where we stayed for a near hour and a half because the engine would not start. Had a good Samaritan try to give us a jump and nothing. Engine tried to turn over one time the entire time we were stuck there, the rest of the time it just clicked. Electric worked fine but the engine just would not start. Ended up having it towed back home (the whole maybe 5 miles away).

The last work it had done was replacing the alternator, fixing the steering column, fixing the screwed up wiring, and...think that was it. Anyway, I'm waiting for more money to come in to take it back to the mechanic because obviously, they didn't fix it completely. Or I'm just going to call a different one. You can start the engine but once it runs for awhile and then you stop and shut it off, it won't come back on until probably the next day.

I love this damn truck (and deal with A LOT of flak about it from my Chevy loving fiance and his family) but I've never seen a more temperamental vehicle...

Any ideas so I can tell the mechanic what to look for? Some friends I've talked to suggest it's maybe a starter issue but before I bought the truck, the previous owner had replace the starter more than once...

Tags:
  2. Muel Article Contributor Oregon Chapter

Where is the exhaust pipe in relation to the starter?
    Excessive heat being radiated into the starter will do exactly what your describe.
    Other things:
    You say with a "Hot Soak" you get a 'Click' out of the solenoid and that is all.
    That click indicates Low battery voltage, or high resistance in the wiring between the starter and battery. There is the possibility that the solenoid itself is failing.
    With the engine cold, make sure that there are no wires close to the engine or exhaust where the running engine will cook them.
    Cooking anything electrical will increase the resistance, reaching well done will make things not work, and much beyond that you let the magic smoke out!
    Never let the smoke out because it is impossible to put it back!:D

3. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

When you say trying to start......
    Did you mean the starter kinda goes ruh ruh ruh.........like there is pressure on it? Only when hot?

Could be timing is advanced too far......

OldjunkFords likes this.
  4. whomrig TOTM Winner Founding Member Southwest Chapter

I would start checking all electrical connections including all grounds.
    any point of resistance can cause the issue you have here

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >