Scan tool choices

Discussion in 'The Fabricators Corner' started by JWC 3, Jul 3, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

What do you like ? I have a Snap on Modis , a few Launch scan tools , two OTC scanners .
    They all offer good features , graphing , live data , etc. My Modis even has a 4 chanel lab scope .
    For quick I grab my Launch .It has color graphing ,all 10 modes of OBD , and some system tests .
    What is your Go To scan tool ?
    And why did you choose it ?

Tags:
    56panelford likes this.
  2. bigrigfixer Article Contributor Founding Member Canadian Chapter

I have access to a Modis at work, but my personal one is just a $50 Mac Tools obd2 plug in scanner.

Will the Modis communicate with the ecm to get a door keypad code? On say an 09 F150?

56panelford likes this.
  3. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Not sure , I will see if I can .

56panelford likes this.
  4. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I use SCT and HP Tuners tools, mainly because 99% of my scan tool use is related to tuning.

5. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Not into tuning myself , just fixing them .
    They work well for you ?

56panelford likes this.
  6. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

As far as scan tools go, they are basic... they give codes (including Ford proprietary codes) only. Where they come in handy is the ability to setup high speed data logging of pretty much everything in the PCM (not all at once, about 20-25 at a time depending on the PCM). And the software lets you view histograms, which is really handy when you need to check fuel, modify the MAF transfer functions, etc.

7. NRA4ever Founding Member

I have a Innova 3140 . I updated it to do ABS systems. It does a good job if you buy the online service. . It reads all the codes the rides I have can throw. The high speed data logging has found a problem I would not have found unless I ran the truck at the speed the problem occurred. I have the obd 1 hookups for most cars & trucks too. I got it for $200 with the OBD 1 & 2 . I added the Abs for $90. I've saved way more than its cost on the first ride I used it on.

56panelford likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >