sequence of events

Discussion in '1953 - 1956 Ford F100, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by jniolon, Jun 11, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. jniolon Article Contributor Founding Member

got a painter coming over today to have a look see and give me an estimate on cost to paint. 99% of the body work is complete... so I'm thinkin ahead..

sequence of events to follow ?? I've got wiring to do, interior including installing seats, insulation, wipers, a/c, etc.. single pane windows...weatherstripping...

Gonna paint it in pieces so I figured I'd wait till it returns from painter to do any of this except maybe fabbing up the seat mounts. But I'm wondering if there is a good sequence to follow... like I don't want to do weather stripping before paint, but I need to know about door fit to install the pins for the bear claw latches... stuff like that

any ideas from someone who's actually finished a truck instead of someone like me who has made a career of trying to ???

thanks
    John

Tags:
    FTZ HAIC likes this.
  2. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

I always put my trucks together before I paint them.
    Latches, etc. I don't put in glass, or weatherstrip, but I do get the doors, and hoods close as they will live later.
    I do cut in places the paint will not be able to get to even when it's apart.

I then dissasemble them, shoot them, and carefully put them back together again.

There is no fool proof way to keep from chipping the paint here and there ( John will tell you that to be true) But a roll or 2 of the blue masking tape on the edges goes a long way towards helping that from happening

The more adjusting and fitting you do before paint, the less likely you will damage the paint after it is comleted

FTZ HAIC likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >