Shifter Jammed

Discussion in '1967 - 1972 Ford F100, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by Mater_F100, Aug 7, 2022.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Mater_F100

1969 F100
    Three speed on the column

Had the clip fall off the bottom ot the first/reverse linkage. Got a better clip and things seemed to work. Went for a test drive and lost first/reverse. Was able to play with the forks and get it loose, but it happened again.

Took the forks out and inspected them (new forks and were fine).

After putting everything back in, I’m stuck in neutral.

Ideas?

Thanks!

Tags:
  2. iicap

Forks??? The levers coming out of steering column where rods attach, that go down to the transmission side cover levers??

3. Mater_F100

Apologies - yes. That seems to be where things are jammed up.

Left out a couple of useful points. If unhook the linkage, I can shift fine inside of the cab and you can manually change gears pushing and pulling on the linkage.

4. iicap

First is there is any up and down movement of the steering wheel as you push-pull it up and down? If so, there is a clamp on the steering shaft at the column bottom. Loosen the clamp and push upward as someone holds the steer wheel downward, lock the clamp, get rid of the play.

Put the transmission in neutral at the transmission levers. Place the shift lever (handle) on column in the 3-9 o'clock position, hook up the 2nd and 3rd rod to the transmission and lever at the column. Just shift, N-2-3-N a couple times. Is there any excessive play and N is where you set it up? Now look and see if there is a hole in each lever at lower column that you could put a pin in to keep the levers parallel. You need to have the levers parallel as you install the 1st/Rev rod. Hook 1st/Rev rod to transmission lever. Adjust the rod so it just cleanly goes into the lower column lever and hook it up. Excessive play/wear at any joint will make it more difficult the operate properly.
    Cap

5. Mater_F100

Thank you. Someone did mention the pushing down thing when we replaced the column the first time. I am traveling on business this week but will give all of this a try when I get back.

6. Mater_F100

Update -

Had a buddy come by that specializes in old Fords. He recommends converting to a floor shifter. Checking LNC and NPD, I can’t find everything I need. For instance, I can’t get the shifter arm from LMC. We’ve scoured the parts lots in KC in the past. Any recommendations?

7. iicap

"Checking LNC and NPD, I can’t find everything I need."???

Meaning you cant find the parts to repair your steering columns original shifter OR parts to convert to a floor shift??

Do You know what in your column shift is so worn that is causing the problem??

8. Mater_F100

Thanks for the response.

Sorry for the confusion. I meant everything for the floor shift. She has nixed that as an option.

So, back to working on the column shift….she was home this weekend and we looked at it quickly. Something is out of whack when it shifts on the transmission. I’m thinking it may need a rebuild. Thoughts?

9. captchas

iicap likes this.
  10. Mater_F100

Thanks! She actually rebuilt it during the truck rebuild. We think a new shift tube might help but no one has them in stock.

Definitely seems to be in the column, because the arms on the shaft will move together sometimes and that’s when it gets jammed.

Thanks again.

11. iicap

The site, Dennis Carpenter, that "captchas"provided has some great visual's of column internals. You can see the slots I've mentioned to align the two levers together. In Post #4, I explained aligning the levers. If you have done this and the problem is still there, I would agree, take the column out to a bench, disassemble, laying the parts out in order and examining all for wear. Take some pictures for your reference and I'm sure online you can find an exploded view of the column and it's parts in sequence.

When disassemling, pay mind to the lower bearing, the clamp on the shaft slides up against, to be in good shape.

Cap

12. Mater_F100

Thanks!

Raining in KC today. I’ll try to take it out one night this week or on the weekend. I appreciate your follow up here. And our daughter appreciates it more. This is the only thing standing between us and getting it to her in Dallas.

13. Mater_F100

Thank you again for the advice.

A caught up with a guy I know that has been working on old cars since he could hold a wrench. It was a matter of adjustment. I did not have neutral lined up quite right (I didn't use a big enough Allen wrench to align it). He also showed me how to adjust it correctly at the transmission. I've driven it about 25 miles and it seems good so far.

Thanks!!

14. iicap

Mater, That is great to hear! Run it around a bit before shipping off to your Daughter in TX.

Mater_F100 likes this.
  15. BKW Founding Member

At the bottom of the steering column under the hood are the two manual control selector levers that the shift rods from the transmission attach to.

In each lever there is a bushing and an insulator. Over time, the bushing crack apart/disintegrate, causing the shift lever to bind up between 1st and 2nd gear.

C5TZ-7343-A .. Bushing and Insulator Kit / Obsolete

1965/72 F100/250 w/3 speed manual transmission / Also used with A/T 1965/1968 F100/350, only one bushing/insulator is required.

CARPENTER NOS PARTS in Concord NC has 2,966 (!) = 800-476-9653

iicap likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >