Short dipstick on 2008 -2013 f-150

Discussion in '2009 - 2014 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by brownspot, Dec 19, 2016.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. brownspot

I am wondering if anyone else has a problem with how short the dipstick is on the late model F-150 trucks. I am six feet tall and have never encountered a car or truck that I couldn't reach the dipstick to check the oil. I have to stand on something to pull it from the tube and to re-insert it. Is it possible Ford has engineers who never drive the vehicles they'v designed?? Does anyone know of an aftermarket modification or longer dipstick/tube that would make it accessible to the vehicle owner without standing on something to get closer?

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

What engine are you referring to?

I keep a step handy for hard to reach places, but haven't needed it to change oil. I'm 5'11" and have no problem with a 5.4L dipstick.

3. brownspot

Sorry, I guess that would have been helpful. It's a 2013 with a 5.0 . I like everything about it except the short dipstick and the inside climate control knobs that turn too easily when bumped by a knee or a hand reaching for something. I do have a step I purchased from Northern Tools that will hang on the front tire to reach the windshield for cleaning and the dipstick. I don't take the step along on long trips so it's nearly impossible to check the oil level in that scenario.

4. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Oh, yeah, there have been complaints about the reach on the 5.0L. I thought you might have meant the 5.4L, since the title had 2008 (5.0L first year in the F-150 is 2009). There's not much that can be done other than buying one of those universal sticks with tube, then putting marks on them. Otherwise you're stuck with one of two old school solutions:

fast-releaseā„¢-long-nose-locking-pliers-260.jpg #ad
    AAEAAQAAAAAAAATxAAAAJGUxNzRiMzhjLTBiZjItNDU0ZS1hZmE2LTkxM2Y1MmI4MWE0NA.jpg #ad

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >