Spark Plugs

Discussion in '2004 - 2008 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by 57FordGuy, Aug 19, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. 57FordGuy Founding Member

I'm starting to get together the parts needed to change the plugs on my 5.4. When I start looking for boots however, I keep getting the question: brown or black. Its somewhat hard to see down in the engine to determine whether I have brown or black. A check with Official Ford Parts Site | Buy Motorcraft & OEM Ford Parts Online | FordParts.com tells me through my VIN# that I should have black. What could be the difference?

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

2004- early 2007 should all use black books. When they changed the heads to use single piece spark plugs the boot colors for those are brown.

3. 57FordGuy Founding Member

My boots look awful black.

4. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

They may be, lol. Maybe they were changed out, because Ford definitely changed boot color when they updated the heads.

617PQhFCN7L._SL1000_.jpg #ad
    71+xtDQP0bL._SX522_.jpg #ad

5. 57FordGuy Founding Member

Would there be a problem with replacing what I have with brown?

6. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

The plug sizes are not the same and the boots are not interchangeable, so go with black. I got a mixup in my first post, I should have said early 2008, not early 2007. I got my wires crossed with production date vs model year when I was typing, guess I'm getting old. It sounds like you may have a very early production 2008, built before 11/30/2007. To verify with 100% certainty you can look up your truck's build date on the driver's side door tag.

7. 57FordGuy Founding Member

Sorry to bug you Ken, but might you know the difference between Motorcraft SP-507 that fordparts.com references and the SP-515 plugs that Autozone and others recommend.

8. 57FordGuy Founding Member

The door tag says 9/07. I guessed that meant 9/7/2008. Looks like not.

9. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

SP-515 superceeds the SP-507. Both are revised versions of the older HT1 and HT1.5 plugs, to help prevent plug breakage and the bottom half ending up in the cylinder. Some folks incorrectly say the 507 is single platinum plug and the 515 is double, but they are both single. I believe the 515 is revised with a stronger weld where the two pieces meet up.

10. 57FordGuy Founding Member

Watching YouTube videos of spark plug removal. Not a fan! I've never paid for any kind of tuneup, but might take this job to a shop.

11. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

It's not as bad as it seems. I've changed 5.4L spark plugs at least a half dozen times. If you decide to do it yourself, get Kroil or another good penetrant, follow the TSB removal instructions, don't rush it and you'll have no problems. For me the most time consuming part of the job is actually not the plug removal, but taking off all the coils - only one tiny bolt each but I don't have terribly long arms so the back two coils are a pain, the plugs were actually easier. I'd say 50% of your time will be reading and double checking the instructions as you go. The second time I did the plugs I knew how, and knocked it out fast.

12. Kevinpmac Founding Member

Good advice Ken!
    Mine has the brown boots, so breakage was not an issue. Getting the dMn coils on and off was a lesson in patience for this usually impatient guy.

13. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Doh! I keep mixing that up (brown or black). And you just said it a couple posts ago, lol. It ought to be fairly easy, but then there's always the hassle factor... sometimes it's not worth the time involved when some guy who's done it a thousand times at a shop can knock it our with 30 - 45 minutes labor.

14. 57FordGuy Founding Member

I don't think I'll have to change the coils like the YouTube video. Am I correct in that?

15. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Correct. Remove the bolt holding down the coil, and you'll be able to pull the coil off the spark plug. Take the coil out, because you want to put a little bit of dialectric grease on the end of the boot:

This video is for traditional spark plug wires, but the procedure is the same with coil boots.

After all the plugs are swapped, bolt back in the original coils. Ford doesn't have any specific service life on the coils, if you never get water on the top of your engine they can last a decade or longer.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >