spark plugs

Discussion in '2004 - 2008 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by FRANK 47, Dec 16, 2016.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. FRANK 47 Vet Zone

I have a 2006 F150. I bought it new. Now it only has 35,000 miles on it. I understand replacing the plugs can be a BIG problem. Should I wait till it has 100,000 miles on it or is it better to do it now ? It may be many years to get to that high milage .

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I'd do it now. I have a 2006 with about 50K miles and have changed them twice. I Kroil penetrating oil, let it seep down for a good hour before removing them, never had a problem this way.

Caution: Do not remove plugs when the engine is warm or hot. The engine must be at room temperature when performing spark plug service. Removing the spark plugs from a warm/hot engine increases the chance the threads could be damaged.

1. Remove the coil-on-plug assemblies and thoroughly blow out the spark plug wells and surrounding valve cover area with compressed air.

2. Back out the spark plugs no more than 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn. Using Motorcraft Carburetor Tune-Up Cleaner, fill the spark plug well just above where the jamb nut hex sits (1/2 – 3/4 teaspoon). A minimum period of 15 minutes of soak time is required. The cleaner will wick down to the ground electrode shield and soften the carbon deposits in this time. Do not work the spark plug back and forth at this point.

Caution: Excessive Motorcraft carburetor tune-up cleaner, or repeating the process several times with too much cleaner fluid, could introduce enough liquid volume to hydro-lock the engine.

3. Tighten, and then loosen the spark plug, working the plug back and forth. Some screeching and high effort may be noticed. The expected removal torque is about 33 lb.-ft. (45 Nm). Repeat the back and forth turning as needed until turning effort is reduced, and remove the spark plugs.

Do not use power tools for the plug removal — spark plugs must be only be removed with hand tools.​

Randy Waldrep, RexB and FRANK 47 like this.
  3. 57FordGuy Founding Member

You guys drive 100 yards to work?

4. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I work out of my home, and I'm lucky if I drive at all most weeks outside of taking my son to boy scouts..... and I drive my F250 for that stuff.

5. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

almost all of th eplugs i have changed on mod engens were done at 100k + miles. and they still looked and ran good. the big secret to replacing the plugs besides what Ken said is to properly torque the plugs on install. too tight,will rip out the threads in the head, too loose and the plug will loosen up and shoot out. torque the plugs to minimum 11 ftlbs and maximum 15 ftlbs.

FRANK 47 likes this.
  6. FRANK 47 Vet Zone

The truck is really my wife's. We use it to ,trailer horses, get hay and other farm stuff. I drive a 2001 Ranger Edge and have a 95 5.0 Mustang, She also has a 2002 Lincoln Town-car . So the milage gets spread around.

RexB likes this.
  7. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

The problem is the 2004-early 2007 5.4L 3v plugs are a two piece design with a gap between the wall of the bottom of the plug and the cylinder head. Carbon builds up there, seizing the bottom half of the plug so when you turn it out the top half snaps off. There are more topics about this design flaw over the years than I can count, so many people ending up with either the bottom half stuck in the head or dropping into the cylinder.

It got bad enough that Ford made a tool for retrieving the bottom half, and ended up settling a class action lawsuit
    in 2015.

Here's a guy who had 7 of 8 break off, you can see bad carbon build up on the bottom (and it looks like one of the plugs left the bottom piece in the head):
    IMG_0441.jpg #ad

And a picture of what this plug looks like in the head. They don't show the gap in the picture, but it's between the part that says seized shell and the cylinder wall. There's no way to prevent the build up, so now people either buy the one piece plugs Champion makes (not an option for me since they don't have a colder rated plug for my supercharger) or they change them more often before there's much build up.
    ford_three_valve_spark_plug_cylinder_head.jpg #ad

RexB likes this.
  8. FRANK 47 Vet Zone

Thanks

9. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

guess i am lucky i never did one of them nightmares then. i will find out if i ever have to change the plugs in the 04.

10. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Yeah, not one of Ford's better ideas.

FRANK 47 likes this.
  11. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

good thing i kept the 5.4 out of the 2000 i cut up. when the 04 needs plugs it may be easier to just swap the 2000 engine into it!!!

FRANK 47 likes this.
  12. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Get one of these .....
    1221161216.jpg #ad

Removal kit for broken plug .....

FRANK 47 likes this.
  13. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

I'm having better luck with poorly maintained trucks by using my cordless impact to pull the plugs .
    Deep Creep ,quarter turn , wait five ,zip it out .

FRANK 47 likes this.
  14. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I prefer Kroil, it seeps better in my experience.

FRANK 47 likes this.
  15. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

That works well , hard to find in my area . Strang , I think it was made in Nashville , 65 miles away .....
    I use deep creep for it's low flammable aspect .Great product .IMHO

FRANK 47 likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >