Speed cluster 95 7.3

Discussion in '1992 - 1996 Ford F150, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by Mike 95 7.3 F350, Jan 15, 2018.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Mike 95 7.3 F350

I have a 95 7.3 diesel , I have been searching for a speedo cluster W / Tach part # F4tz10849t Does anybody know where to find one Or some good sites to search . I have had mine re-built but still experiencing shifting issues along with cruise dropping out periodically

Tags:
  2. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

If the speedometer isn't working properly, and the transmission isn't shifting properly, I would suspect a bad VSS on the rear.

Have you pulled the codes yet?

3. Mike 95 7.3 F350

Speedometer quit working initially that is when hard shift was occurring That's when I had cluster rebuilt Since then I have had truck scanned and some caps we replaced . Cruise and shift are occasionally. Just put in Ford factory rebuilt transmission and symptoms still occur under adverse condition Run Hard 85 or so and also Slow acceleration Long increse in speed with no load on Vehicle can cause it also . I don't know if you have any other ideas But I'm really over playing with it just would like to find GOOD Cluster . Looking for reputable sources to replace or locate New or Liquidators with OEM clusters

4. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

The VSS is the speed sensor that
    1 drives the speedometer
    2 tells the transmission when to shift

Generally that solves the problems you are talking about
    Someone else may come along with some other ideas

5. Mike 95 7.3 F350

Thank you Dusty

6. helifixer TOTM Winner Southwest Chapter

If it is a psom problem you can change the speedometer portion of your cluster, plenty of them on e bay.
    You will have whatever mileage the new speedometer has as the psom stores that.

Psom failure is not very common.

7. IDMooseMan Vet Zone TOTM Winner

I've had issues similar to this for quite some time now. I replace the VSS, and the problem persists. Been told the PSOM is the issue, but haven't found a place that can rebuild the cluster for me. I was also informed the PSOM could not be swapped out, but I'm beginning to think that is incorrect information, which is why I haven't utilized that shop's services.

The cruise control dropping out issue did have an active recall a while back, but that related to other issues, I believe.

Where did you have your cluster rebuilt? I would like to talk with that shop about my situation. If PSOM replacement is something I can do at home, would someone post or send me some instructions on how to do it, please?

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >