Speedometer bouncing, and light on intermittly, and shifting funny , what is this

Discussion in '1997 - 2003 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by joepro, Mar 26, 2017.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. joepro

I installed a new shift tube ,disconnected od wire from shift handle because it was broke , I test drove after installing new shift tube everything seemed fine, I took it out the next day that's when I began to have issues , I installed new vss same issue, transmission fluid looks and smells good also. PERPLEXED please help.

Tags:
  2. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

And the vehicle is a.....

Campspringsjohn likes this.
  3. Campspringsjohn Founding Member

Yeah. Knowing what you're working on would help with figuring out the problem.

Welcome to FTZ!

The more information you can give us about what you're working on, the easier it'll be to figure out how to fix it.

4. joepro

1997 ford f250 heavy duty 4x4 351 sorry that would have helped

5. joepro

1997 ford f 250 4x4 351w obd1

6. joepro

1997 ford f250 4x4 351 w

7. joepro

1997 ford f 250 4x4 351

8. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

Could be as simple as the Speedo drive gear. A stripped or shaved tooth, or two, can bounce your needle. Typically a $ 30.00 part...or less. Fixed the problem with two muscle cars for me. Usually don't keep trucks long enough for it to rear it's ugly head.

9. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

All electronic Kw
    Probably a badd connection to the vss

He also never said what he did about repairing the wire harness to the OD switch.

10. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

Damn...can't seem to get out of the 70's. :banghead:anim

dustybumpers likes this.
  11. Campspringsjohn Founding Member

That truck should have aE4OD transmission in it. There's a tone ring in the differential that the sensor reads to determine the speed. I agree with Charlie, it may be in the repair made to the OD wiring. I know if that button isn't right, it messes up everything.

dustybumpers likes this.
  12. helifixer TOTM Winner Southwest Chapter

97 should be obdII,
    Overdrive switch on shift lever has to be connected to a functioning od switch, all 3 brake lights must be working and the factory bulbs installed or resistors installed if led bulbs as the pcm reads combined brake light resistance to control the transmission.
    As for bouncing speedometer, did you install a motorcraft speed sensor? If not get one and change it again.

dustybumpers likes this.
  13. joepro

THANKS HELIFIXER HAD TO INSTALL SHIFT HANDLE WITH NEW WORKING OD SWITCH ,the old shift handle that was broke caused all those problems ,unbelievable.

JWC 3, Greywolf and Campspringsjohn like this.
  14. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

I will caution you here that a question like that should be posted in the proper forum place - BUT YOU SEE HOW WE ARE!

We can't help jumping in no matter where you post it.....

The reason it is better to ask a question like that where it belongs is so that anyone else who needs to find out how to fix the same thing can find it quickly and get help fast.

This is not a slam on you, but an explanation so that you can contribute better and so can we. Excellent fix - and worth having in the forum area for it. I hope it is copied and pasted there.

~Ciao

PS: It is considered good form to tell everyone if the fix worked, instead of just leaving us all wondering

THANK YOU!!!

I'm sure you understand why

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
    Campspringsjohn likes this.
  15. joepro

No problem greywolf I'm a newbie wasnt sure how to post as soon as I learn to copy and paste it will be in the proper spot ,sorry and thanks for your help.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >