< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. fiveseven1957

I have a 460 in my truck. Im trying to figure out why my truck stalls at hywy speed around 55.I can usually restart after a few. I replaced most of the normal things like pump, filter, rerouted fuel line, I replaced the fuel cap with a vented one and it seems like it fixed it for awhile.Then last week it stalled twice. No Im really baffled. Does anyone have any ideals.

Tags:
  2. iicap

A 460, in what truck? You say stalls at 55 mph? Completely shuts off and you limp to the side of the road?? Does it have electronic ignition, Ford Dura SparkII or some aftermarket type??

3. fiveseven1957

Its a replant , I have an HEI dist. It sputters'for sec then off.

4. fiveseven1957

its a 66 f 100

5. iicap

I guess quickest thing is to check to see if you have lost spark. If you don't own one, go to Auto Parts Store and buy a test spark plug for electronic ignitions. It will have an attached alligator clip for ground. Go out and make it quit, immediately test for spark. Pull off 1 plug wire, attach test plug and clip it to metal on the engine, crank it over to see if you do or don't have spark. Do try testing the test plug before out to make it quit, just to see how the test plug reacts.

DID you install the HEI?? The wire that powers the distributor, with a DVOM (Digital Volt Ohm Meter), test to see if that wire has voltage the same as your battery. IF the wire that originally powered the OEM coil and Distributor is/was used, it has a built in resistance. The HEI needs full battery power. Cap

6. fiveseven1957

I want to thank the replies I got I found out it was the float was giving the wrong level so found out I was running out of gas.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
virtuoso