Starter Engagement Problems

Discussion in '2004 - 2008 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by rmvr53, Jan 7, 2016.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. rmvr53

hi all - new to the forum. I have a 05 F150 5.4 4x4 question. Truck has 188k on the clock and recently started sounding like the starter was having trouble engaging. Sounded like if you had it running and turned the key...no engagement of the teeth to the flexplate. So, I put a new (not rebuilt) starter on it. That in itself was a joy but for another topic. Didn't fix the problem and in fact sounds like it made it worse. I had the battery load tested and its fine at 850 CCA. Replaced the battery lead to the starter and cleaned the ground. Minor improvement but still "spins" (usually 2 or 3 times) on 1 out of every 4 or 5 starts. I can only assume two things at this time. The new starter is bad or the teeth on the flexplate are going/gone. Anyone else ever have this issue?

thanks

Bill

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I'd bench test the new starter to see if the bendix is engaging if you've been able to get under there to see the condition of the teeth. It wouldn't be the first rebuilt start that is bad straight from the store. Not replaced one on these particular trucks, mine's been rock solid, so I don't know if it uses shims or not for alignment.

3. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Welcome to the site

No shims.
    Sounds like other starter may have been loose, and ate away the teeth on the flywheel

Pull the starter back down, and have a look art the teeth where the starter sits.

4. rmvr53

FTZKen - it was a new starter. I had hopes to not have issues by buying a new one...

Dusty - trust me, it wasn't loose. Took 2+ hours to get that *&^%$ outta there! 10 minutes to get the bottom 2 bolts and wires off. 2 hours plus to get the top bolt loose/out.

On the old starter; the engagement teeth are a bit worn

5. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

No, I meant the starter gear inside may have been loose, sorry.
    Pulling the starter off the newer trucks is not for the meek, that's for sure

Not sure if there is an inspection cover down near the bottom of your transmission on the front or not, could be there is, and you could get a peek at the flex plate/flywheel

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >