Starter grinds.. at my witts end

Discussion in '1980 - 1986 Ford F150, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by lazbiker, Aug 31, 2017.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. lazbiker

I keep going through starters like they're candy. New engine 351w, new battery, new flexplate, new c6 transmission, gauge 2 battery cables, gauge 4 starter cable, new starter factory rebuilt from Mearl's. Tried both with and without the factory shim. I'll install it, get ONE good crank out of it, then it grinds. Every 8-10 tries it will grab properly, then back to grinding. Flexplate can only go on 1 way and it's new. Had the starter tested at Tucson Alternator and Exchange and was told it's good. Was told a bout this being a common problem with older fords, so how was it FIXED?!

Tags:
  2. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

the only time i have ever seen that was when the teeth on the flywheel/ flex plate were damaged.

3. lazbiker

The flexplate is brand new. The starter did the same thing with the old flexplate as well. The thing is that sometimes it works perfectly!

4. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Were there any shims behind the stock starter motor?

5. lazbiker

Besides the plate between the motor and transmission, no. The area of that plate where the starter mounts was bent all to hell so I did cut it off and replace just that part with a new shim of equal thickness.

6. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Plate between motor and transmission is bad or missing. There is no way to locate the starter properly without the plate

Been there done that
    Sorry for the bad news

56panelford likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >