starter just spinds

Discussion in '1997 - 2003 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by stumped looking for help, Jul 1, 2020.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. stumped looking for help

Long story short, starter went out, bought replacement, put in, tried to start it just spins, checked hook ups everthing looks good. Took out went back to Autozone they test the starter worked fine. Compared new starter to old looks like same size nothing different. Checked fuses, solenoid, voltage of the wires. Never had this issue. Thanks for your help

Tags:
  2. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

the bendix drive in the starter is probably bad. it can spin all it wants. but if the bendix drive does not push the gear out to the flywheel it will never start.

3. stumped looking for help

took starter out and had it bench tested and it worked fine. Tried it mutiple times and it worked fine.

4. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

rite. it spun. but did the bendix kick the drive gear out ?
    if it did, than it may not be the proper starter.

5. stumped looking for help

well the part matches what the information says, and it looks, and size just like the old one. At this point I took it to a shop. Ill post what they find.

6. captchas

what i'm hearing is either the drive isn't kicking out,or the drive's internal clutch dogs are not working allowing the gear to spin the fly wheel if so you can bench test it till the cows come home and see the same thing
    inside the drive base are pins like needle bearings that bind up on a ramp ,if they don't lock the drive will never spin the flywheel and all you hear is zing zing zing no start.

1970something likes this.
  7. stumped looking for help

The parts guy I bought the starter from said something like that the first time I took back the new starter after he checked it on the bench. So he gave me a different starter. Got it installed and same thing happened. So either something else is going on or I got 2 new bad starters from the same place. The shop I have looking at it is pretty busy, they are to fit the job in. So nothing from them at the moment. I will have a answer for you one way or another. Thanks for all the different ideas.

8. whomrig TOTM Winner Founding Member Southwest Chapter

did you inspect the flywheel for missing teeth?

9. captchas

not to bust nuts but it's called flex plate, with the lack of stick shift cars and trucks we haven't had flywheels for a long time .flywheels mount the clutch,flex plates mount the torque converter

10. stumped looking for help

To start off, I would like to thank everyone for their input. Got the truck back from the shop works fine. The problem was the 2 starters from Autozone were both bad. I took the starter back with a letter and the bill showing them what the shop said. They took it to the test bench and 2 different employees tested it. Two different answers, at this point didnt really care what they thought. So got my money back informed them I would be looking elsewhere for a auto parts store. Thanks again. Learn something new.

1970something likes this.
  11. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

good to hear you gotit fixed.
    with the parts counter monkeys these days, as long as the starter spins "it is good"

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >