Steering Issue with 1986 F250

Discussion in '1980 - 1986 Ford F150, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by OldFordUpNorth, Mar 15, 2020.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. OldFordUpNorth

Hello, everyone!

I've got a 1986 F250 converted to a dually, and I'm seeing an issue when in drive.

When driving (on an icy driveway), the truck won't turn - it just kind of slides to the side. Turns just fine in reverse, though.

I initially thought it was the steering stabilizer, which had popped off, so I just replaced it and am still seeing the issue.

When trying to figure out what's going on, I noticed that the inner tire on the driver's side is really flat.

Could that be causing my issue? Haven't pumped it up yet, I'll need to run into town to get an air compressor first. Just wanted someone's take on this to make sure I'm not spending $100 (and an hour and a half drive) on the wrong issue.

Appreciate your help!

Update:

I'm thinking the flat may not be the issue. Like I said above, reverse works just fine, but driving - even just in a straight line on dry ground - I feel a lot of resistance. Really got to push the throttle, and as soon as you let up, it comes to a stop quickly. There's also a persistent squeal coming from (at least) the driver's front wheel.

Maybe a brake issue? I'll look into that, but let me know if you've got any other ideas!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
    Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I'm guessing a stuck brake caliper or something with the bearing, that is assuming the squeal isn't the power steering pump? Hard to tell from here. :(

3. OldFordUpNorth

Thanks for the suggestions! Definitely hard from where you're standing, for sure.

I'll look at both the bearing and the caliper - a friend of mine also suggested tie rods.

I'll get up under there within the next couple days and see what I can find!

4. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

it could also be a bad soft line going to the caliper. if you jack up the wheel and it will not turn, try loosening the bolt holding the line into the caliper. if pressure releases and the wheel will then turn, the soft line suffered an interior wall collapse and needs to be replaced.

5. OldFordUpNorth

Awesome, thanks for the tip! I'll check that out too.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >