Stop light inop

Discussion in '1961 - 1966 Ford F100, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by fiveseven1957, Jun 13, 2020.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. fiveseven1957

Im trying to fix the wiring issues on my 66 f100 kind of mess. I don't understand the wiring diagrams . the main one shows the 810 wire from the brake stop switch going to turn sig switch. Mine goes to the hazard switch and it is factory. Cant find any diagrams showing this. Does anyone know about this.

Tags:
  2. iicap

Hi fs1957, Cant help you precisely. Hazard switch in 66 was optional. I had two 66's, one with hazard, one without. Question(s), do your signal lights work left and right, front and rear as they should??? You know the same filament in your stop and tail bulbs is for the stop and signal function. If signal lights work properly, you might assume the wiring and grounds from sig light switch are all good from switch to the S &T light assemblies Have you removed stop light wires from stop light switch at the master cylinder and put a jumper between the wires to see if stoplights illuminate. Not positive on 66's but some times key needs to be on for stoplights to work. Also most fuse blocks in these trucks, the clips the fuses are help in by are usually very rusty. Do your best to clean, shine up the contact area of the clips. Cap

3. iicap

Might add, this 810 wire, is it hot when you step on the brakes??? Also your hazard system may have a flasher of its own other than regular signal light flasher. It could be bad if required.

4. fiveseven1957

Thanks for responding. Yes its hot when brake applied and it has separate flasher.

5. iicap

Again all i can do is suggest as I've never had to troubleshoot this. Couple other ?'s I asked you didn't answer specifically. Do all the signal lights work as they should, if yes, we know all wiring and ground to the rear lamp assy's are OK. Your hazard switch, is, in dash like all other control knobs, NOT a remote mounted Red plastic knob.? I have truck with factory hazard in my back yard, dash ass'y is out, I'll look at tomorrow.

6. fiveseven1957

Update on my situation with the inop brake lights. With the wiring diagram I found the 810 wire from the brake switch was powered when pedal on. It went to the hazard switch. But wasn't lighting up the brake lights, so I jumped the 810 to wires from the rear brake lights and now have all my lights working. . thanks for help.

7. iicap

8. iicap

Glad all operating for you. Hope ALL are working as they shud. Thanks for letting us know.

9. fiveseven1957

I installed a set of deam beams last year with 4 inch drop. The right side tie rod rubs on the inside of the upper radius rod, the left seems fine and has bad bump steer. Anyone ever have this problem?

10. iicap

Interesting, you have dropped the front end down 4". Did the beams (front axles) com with new spindles that are 4'' lower where the tie rods connects to the spindles, or an explanation from beam Mfg on proper installation. So the tie rods go thru the radius arms, then the need for different spindles to keep the tie rods in original position. If not you have thrown the engineered steering geometry out the window. Just to clarify, I don't know without going looking if the steering arms are part of the spindles or just bolt to the lower part of the spindles.

11. fiveseven1957

The beams drop near the wheel 4 inch, the disk brake brake spindle uses a weird extension that connects to the tie rods. The left side seems fine but the right tie rod touches the inside of the upper radius rod and causes a lot of bumb steer. Im not sure why this happen. or how to fix it.

12. iicap

Post the maker and model and part # of the beam kit. The weird extensions are steering arms and they need be different from your originals. Could there be a left and right and have on wrong side or upside down. A picture(s) worth so much.

13. fiveseven1957

Thanks for responding I didn't think of that The model # is DJM DB3004-3. Ill have to take a look at them.

14. iicap

See DJM video. They are showing with original drum brakes. So the Old Time Garage video shows disc brake spindles and what they are of off. This video stops short of installing the tie rods and I haven't found video of that. So, was there a suggested Disc brake conversion kit to use??? Did you just by a conversion disc kit of your choice and apply it???

DJM

Old time garage

15. iicap

I went back and read some of the thank you's and responses from viewers of the Old Time Garage video's. He mentions that they used a different pitman arm. A person asked what the pitman arm came off of and he didn't respond.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >