< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Nelson Chamberlain

1973 F-350 regular cab, both passenger and driver doors are stuck. Passenger door won’t unlock. I was able to reach through the hinged window, to crank the window down on both sides. I can’t force the passenger to unlock, and the driver’s side won’t open from inside or out. I’m sure it’s something simple I’m overlooking, but I’m completely new to old vehicles, and mechanics in general. Would love any suggestions.

Tags:
  2. Nelson Chamberlain

While I’m at it, are there any resources you’d suggest to learn the basics for this truck (390, 4 on the floor, 2WD dually), or troubleshooting? Hate to blow this site up with every small question I have as I try to revive this truck

3. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

For the locks, it's probably the lock arm come undone, or frozen. You can get to it pretty easy by prying the panel off with a panel kit, after removing the window crank, inner door handle and "cup".

Nelson Chamberlain likes this.
  4. iicap

Ditto on FTZ H's suggestion for access. On the lock/unlock button/rod, neither one will go up or down??? And the door key will not make the button rods go up or down??

5. BlueOvalex

Hey Nelson, Welcome to FTZ.

When was the last time the doors were opened????
    The reason I ask is this is the first tome I have heard of BOTH doors not unlocking.
    Usually, one lock will freeze up or the rod clip will rust and get disconnected but both doors at the same time I wonder??
    Let us know how long it has been since last opened. That may lead to an answer.
    Just my .02 worth

Nelson Chamberlain likes this.
  6. Nelson Chamberlain

I apologize, here’s some more info. I just barely purchased the truck, it has been parked for at least 3 years. I was able to get in through the driver’s door about 4 weeks ago when I initially found the truck, but it only opened that day. Since then, I’ve been stuck. The driver’s door unlocks (the lock pin or lock knob fully extends) with the turn of the key, but the door won’t move at all, with either the inside or outside handle. It feels like nothing is connected or engaging, just both handles moving freely.

As for the passenger door, the lock knob begins to raise with the turn of the key, but it catches on something, restricting it from unlocking completely. Maybe 1/4 rotation of the key is all that is possible, and 1/4 raise of the lock pin. WD-40 did nothing to free up any catching parts, on either door.

7. iicap

Of course your there and we're here, hope our questions don't appear meaning less. Thinking outside handles have push buttons and inside a pull with your fingers and when you do either it feels like there is nothing hooked up there from either. I'd say the latch mechanism is in the release position and the hooks that go round the striker pin are frozen in the latch. 2 people, someone climb in thru the window, the other reach and hold the INSIDE release handle to open position. The inside guy give the door a few good shots with your shoulder and body weight, see if you can pop it open. Most lock assy's that era, just pulling on the inside handle will raise the lock/unlock push button up. TEST IT, push the button down, operate the inside handle to the open position and see if it raises the lock/unlock button. Is there ANY movement of the door as pushed or pulled toward open, like the weather stripping is melted/ bonded to the door and inner cab??

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
  8. BlueOvalex

X2 on what the iicap said.
    He usually comes up with good ideas....

9. iicap

I meant to add...... if the lock/unlock button does not go up when using the inside handle, the rod, handle to latch is probably disconnected. Try both doors. If none of all work, as FTZ H said , your going to have to remove the interior door panels to try and operate the latch assy's to open.

10. BlueOvalex

Hey Nelson,
    Been sitting here for a while WONDERING if you ever got into your truck. LOL Waiting for Responses.jpg
    We never heard back if you resolved your problem??

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
virtuoso