Stumbling up hills

Discussion in '2009 - 2014 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by Grudge Match, Apr 10, 2016.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Grudge Match Founding Member

When the truck is in 2nd or higher if I'm giving it just a little throttle it stumbles now and then. Its just a hesitation for a split second. I tried to pull codes from it but got nothing. It does it every day now since last week. Could it be the transmission slipping? What could do it that won't set codes?

Oh its a 2009 with a 5.4L.

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Transmission slip is rare unless it's very high mileage. You can tell if that's happening by watching the RPM gauge it would jump for a split second. It's far more likely it's a misfire. It has to happen enough for the PCM to pick up on it frequently enough for it to decide to set a code, so that's why you may not be getting codes. If your scanner can datalog, log misfire events to see if that's what's happening.

3. whomrig TOTM Winner Founding Member Southwest Chapter

possibly a lean condition

4. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

have you changed the fuel filter lately?

5. Grudge Match Founding Member

I thought they switched to a life time in tank filter? I sure hope its not the filter because I don't want to drop the tank. I'll get under there to see if I can find a filter outside the tank. I'd never changed it because I thought it didn't have one.

6. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Yeah, they got rid of it in 2009. From the owner's manual:
    "Fuel Filter - Your vehicle is equipped with a lifetime fuel filter that is integrated with the fuel tank. Regular maintenance or replacement is not needed."

If it were me I'd put an external filter on it inline. But anyway it ought to eventually throw a code to let you know what's going on. Sometimes it just needs enough data to know it's non just a transient problem but something that's not going to go away.

7. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Didn't know that.
    Not happy, I'd put in a inline

That aside, is there a place to hook up a fuel pressure guage, and check pressure?

8. MCDavis Founding Member

How many miles on the plugs? Could be that you're sensing a little misfire and the truck's pulling timing in an attempt to compensate.
    Is your fuel mileage down also?

dustybumpers likes this.
  9. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

BIG C!!!!

Welcome back dudddde!!!!!

MCDavis likes this.
  10. Grudge Match Founding Member

It was misfire! Took a while but it finally set a P0300 then a couple days after that a P0301 and P0302. I think its coils because I cleaned up under the hood a couple months back with a water spray bottom. I was careful with the water but maybe some got into the coils somehow?

11. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Not good to wash these without extra steps. Water gets in the plug wells causing misfiring.

56panelford likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >