Ranger stuttering

Discussion in 'Ranger, Explorer, Bronco II and Sport Trac Forum' started by fredinct, Sep 29, 2017.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. fredinct

Not me but the truck. 2000 ford ranger 4.0 4x4.
    the truck has started to run rough at start up, especially when you put it into gear. Engine check light has come on. after disconnecting the cigar lighter and puttong new fuse in the scanner only shows a mis-fire on cylinder three. I checked the wire on this one seemed tight. have not pulled the plug yet. My question is am I looking in the right direction?

Thanks as always

Fred

Tags:
  2. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Yes. Start at the plugs and wires. Condition of the plug and is the coil firing.

56panelford likes this.
  3. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

My coil unit was bad on my ranger 4.0
    it's an early in block cam unit tho, not a coil pack type.It has a coil with 6 posts

4. fredinct

well I final got around to pulling the plug I tried working with the wires readjusting and connecting and disconnecting the wires at both ends. Sunday I pulled the plug finally of course it was the number three the hard one to get to. I had replaced all the plugs and wires a few months ago. I had used a newer two prong plug good deal at rock auto. When I pulled it the center electrode was missing compared to the picture on the original packaging, I replaced it with one of the old plugs and it is running better. My question is am I waiting for the other shoe to drop with what happened to the electrode in the cylinder?

5. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Either a bore scope or a compression tester will let you know if there's been some damage. Often you get lucky and it's blown out through the exhaust valve.

6. fredinct

right now it is running ok I put in an old plug before I really looked at the one I pulled out. I was just wondering if I should drive with gritted teeth or if there was something that I could do. thank you for the reply.

7. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

What was going to happen already has. I wouldn't worry too much.

8. roscoe 0202

are the other five plugs going to fail.
    roscoe

9. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

I would change them all and put motorcraft back in.
    Just my opinion. ........

10. fredinct

I was thinking the same thing, but you know that large investment for 6 plugs. I was waiting to see if anything was going to go bang. but everyone says it would have happened already. so most likely this weekend will be plugged. Thanks for all the comments.

Fred

JWC 3 likes this.
  11. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Would be a larger investment for 6 pistons. Just saying.
    I wouldn't bank on being lucky the electrode goes out the exhaust valve 2 times in the same block
    :facepalm:

JWC 3 likes this.
  12. fredinct

sorry just joking about the expense, hoping to get to it this weekend. Poor me I have to drive the spare car a older Volvo convertible. we picked it up for a good price and had to put a used motor in it runs great now only 185000 miles.

13. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

lol. I hate driving one of my convertibles too

slumming.........:woot:

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
virtuoso