Arm rest height.

Discussion in '2017 - 2022 Ford F250+ Super Duty Forum' started by Wayne Smith, Apr 19, 2021.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Wayne Smith Vet Zone

Does anyone have a remedy for the driver's side armrest being too low?

Tags:
  2. DonW

Is the armrest too low or the window too high?? I can't decide!!

3. Wayne Smith Vet Zone

Hahaha! I've read in the 150 forum about a device that used an adhesive to stick on the existing armrest but can't find it.

It's annoying!

4. ifallsguy

It's called a Snaprest. I have one in my 2020 F-250 and it does help, once you get used to using it. Look up Snap rest on Amazon or do a Giggle search for their web site.

I was given a test unit to review for a 2016 F-150 I owned. Here is the review I wrote back then:

In all the time I’ve been driving pickups and bigger trucks, I’ve always complained about the fact that the manufacturers don’t seem to understand you want the door arm rest and the center arm rest close to the same height. It just makes driving so much easier when you can hold the wheel in the 4 and 8 o’clock positions without the strain on your left arm.

Well finally someone has designed a fix to the problem.

SnapRest was kind enough to send me a sample to try out in my 2016 F-150 Lariat. I was asked about my truck’s interior (camel and black), so they could send the closest match. When I opened the box, I found a black leather with silver stitching which matches the armrest and door panel perfectly. The match is so good, most people don’trealize the arm rest is there until I point it out.

The label with installation information (QR) code was on the bottom plate. Since I normally don’t use (or pay attention to QR codes), I didn’t really pay attention to it. Mike at SnapRest is aware of this and said they are looking into moving the label so it more visible. SnapRest does have installation instructions on their website (www.SnapRest.com),
    where you can check them out.

To test the arm rest without permanently attaching the arm rest, I used a couple of Velcro Command Strips attach it to the door and went to haul our travel trailer 60 miles to the dealer for a minor warranty repair. First thing I noticed was despite correcting for a wind coming in from the left side, my left arm wasn’t as fatigued as it normally is when making corrections for the wind. And SnapRest is better padded than either the center arm or door armrest.

SnapRest snuggly fits into the door handle pocket but MUST be permanently attached in order to stay in permanently in place and allow you to use SnapRest as a handle to close the door (the Velcro Command Strips temporarily worked for initial testing, but are definitely not a permanent solution).

Now word of warning, in order to have SnapRest permanently stay in place and not come off when you (or someone else) use it to close the door, you need to use a screw. You also need to use the square of double-sided tape on the end of the armrest to anchor the end down, but a screw will positively anchor the arm rest to the door.

I used a 1 5/8-inch #6 screw to attach the SnapRest (they suggest a #8 or 10, but I used what I had on the shelf). I highly recommend using a 1/8-inch drill bit for a pilot hole for the screw hole in the base of SnapRest. It will make it easier to drive the screw in straight when attaching it. And don’t overtighten the screw, you want it snug, with the screw head flush with the plastic.

If you decide to remove SnapRest, you’ll have what looks like a small dimple in the door’s armrest cover, but it really doesn’t affect the look of the door’s cover. I found what were for me a few minor issues. First, I have mild arthritis and because SnapRest takes up about ¼ of the door handle pocket and is taller than I was used to, it took me a bit to adapt to how it was best for me to reach in for the door handle and open the door (I’m apparently more trainable than most dogs since it only took 3 or 4 times to change to reaching straight in rather than try to reach it with my arm still on the arm rest).

And my wife is shorter than I am, so she moves the seat up towards the wheel than I do. At first, the SnapRest was a little uncomfortable for her. Her arm just wasn’t really on the arm rest, but she adjusted and now uses it without noticing.

Despite the minor issues, I wish I had known about SnapRest years ago. It would have made my 1 million+ miles on the road much more comfortable. The product is solid and well thought out. Their design fit the color and trim of my truck exactly.

SnapRest make armrests for various year and make trucks. It is one of those things you don’t realize how much you wanted (or needed) it until you use it.

Disclaimer: SnapRest supplied me with the armrest I reviewed here. The opinions expressed are my own. I've listed the benefits and the minor issues I personally found using it. I want to thank Mike at SnapRest for the opportunity to try out their product.

5. Wayne Smith Vet Zone

Yes! I remember that now. I had a 2010 F150 with the same issue. I'll check it out.

I found this on Amazon as well...

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >