Wheel Offset

Discussion in '2017 - 2022 Ford F250+ Super Duty Forum' started by Desert F-250, May 15, 2020.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Desert F-250

Hey, just got my first SD in 17 years after having 2 Rams and 2 GMCs in between. It's a 2019 F-250 Platinum FX4.
    What offset wheels do I need to have the tires stick out about 1.5 inches. I know the OEM wheels are +40, and so if you do the math, should be around 0 or +1. Does that hold true?

Thanks

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

To make the wheels stick out you would apply a negative offset, which is just under 40mm for 1.5 inches. So you're look at roughly a zero offset.

3. Desert F-250

Thanks, that's what I came up with also. 1" = 25.4mm
    Another question. TireRack and Discount Tire both state a lift is needed with this much offset. I plan on staying with a 34" tire like the Michelin 275/65-20 on now, but a little wider, as in a 295/60-20. I'm not planning on a lift or even a leveling kit. Has anyone else put this offset on a stock truck? If this will rub, I would go with a +18 offset.

Thanks

4. Desert F-250

Just for future reference to anyone considering wheels/tires, I went with 295/60-20s on +12 offset wheels. Stick out ab0ut 2" on front, and no rubbing. Again, no leveling kit or lift.

wrencheswild likes this.
  5. campbell7819

I have stock King ranch wheels and wanted to stay with them. My question is According to the info above, I would need to counter the offset somehow to push the wheels and tires out. I would like them to sit flush with the body instead of tucked under like stock. is that logic correct and how would I go about doing that. I have seen other trucks on the web with stock wheels that are setup that way.

6. Desert F-250

These should work.

8X170 WHEEL SPACERS FORD F-250 F-350 SUPERDUTY 1 TO 3 …

7. campbell7819

Thanks, That was what i was thinking also at first, but I have a couple of tire guys say that those were dangerous and not to use them. Any one here have any first hand experience?

8. Desert F-250

They could be right. I know people used spacers back in the day, but it's pretty uncommon now. Your OEM wheels are probably a +44 offset. To get your tires out to flush with the body, you probably need about a +20 or so. My wheels are a +12, and you can see how far they stick out, IMG_2306.jpeg #ad

wrencheswild and SuperDholio like this.
  9. campbell7819

Thanks, That is the look i was going for.

10. LovinNH

If +12 is about 2"out, what would flush be? Currently I have OEM +40 with 275/70R18. I am looking to maintain the current stance and not adding fenders (required if I go with +12). Thanks

11. Desert F-250

I think you would have to order wheels with the same offset as the OEM to keep the same stance.

DonW likes this.
  12. wrencheswild

How about a picture backed up a little bit. That shows well the spacing of tire. Wife and I are planning on moving the wheel/tires out. Would like to see it a little better. That was helpful with the actual numbers you gave. Thanks appreciate it.

13. DonW

Question, and I'm not being a wise guy...Why do you want the tires sticking out beyond the body throwing rocks, mud and whatever all over your truck?

14. wrencheswild

I like the look of say mild flares (bushwackers e.g.) but I want neither the flares with tires in stock location or the "frogged" look with half the tire sticking our beyond truck.
    As you mention just begging for rocks, and I think it looks.... well I don't want it.

15. DonW

I guess we’re a couple weirdos or in my case at least an “old fart”, but we seem to agree. My 250 has stock wheels and tires. Two things, if I had a lift or much bigger tires I wouldn’t be able to tow my 5th wheel. Son in law has 20 f250 with 6” lift and big tires. It looks ok but my wife wouldn’t be able to get in it and if he tried to haul my 5th wheel the front trailer axel would hardly touch the road.
    I also hunt on a lease where the roads became quite muddy. I was amazed how little mud gets thrown all over the side or the truck....bad part is I don’t get the chance to ride around showing mud all over the windshield. Oh well to each their own.

wrencheswild likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >