Tail lights

Discussion in '1997 - 2003 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by f150 ford man, May 4, 2021.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. f150 ford man

I am down to the tail lights, stop lights and blinker lights. I put a stake bed on my 2003 f150 it is almost done. But I can not get the rear lights to work right. I can get tail lights, brake lights and blinker lights. The problem is, When I have the tail lights on, and put the brakes on the lights go out. I have spent many hours trying to fix this problem but with no success. Can anyone give me any suggestions that may help me before I explode. thank you in advance. You guys have been a great help to me, thanks again.

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Hmmmm... sounds like a ground problem. The taillights are grounding through the brake light light circuit, so when you push the brakes only they come on.

3. f150 ford man

The original lights have three wires going to them. The lights I am installing have only two wires. Could it be that one of the original three wires should be grounded.? Or maybe two of the three wires should be connected to only one of the wires on the new lights.? I very much appreciate any help that I can get. thank you

4. 5.0FordGuy

OK so 2 of your 3 original wires should have power, the other being ground. Try wiring the two with power together and see if that helps. I may be on the wrong path that way, but its a start. After that, yeah, check your grounds.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >