The Bs Chevy Is Promoting About The F150

Discussion in '2015 - 2020 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by FTZ HAIC, Jul 25, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

They must really be worried about the new F150:

I bet in a few years when Chevy resorts to aluminum they'll wish they hadn't made these commercials. The reality is fleet MPG standards mean we're going to either see more trucks go to aluminum or downsized.

3. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

they pulled the same stunts a few years ago with Fords tailgate stem . only they called it the"man step".
    then two years later guess who came out with a "man step" yup, government motors.

now the aluminum truck crap. i wonder what they will say when the 2017 government motors aluminum trucks are put on the market?

4. BKW Founding Member

Ken and some of y'all may recall the following, as there was a thread about it on FTE in the Ford vs the Competition forum.

2007: Chevy hired Howie Long (who knows less about trucks than a jackass knows about tap dancing!) to introduce the new Silverado.

Among the things that Howie claimed was this was the first pickup to have a dampened tailgate, cargo management system and wide opening 185 degree extended cab rear doors.

Total BS!

2004 Nissan Titan introduced the cargo management system, the wide opening extended (Nissan: King) cab rear doors, and in 2005, the dampened tailgate.

When the Titan was introduced, Nissan advertised it heavily, but when 2004 sales didn't reach the break-even point of 100,000 units (93,000+ were sold), the ads diminished rapidly and by 2006...disappeared altogether.

I've seen those Chevy "high strength steel" commercials, but what will Chevy do with the Silverado to reduce enough weight to meet the 2020 CAFE standards?

One auto writer (either in Motor Trend or Car & Driver - I don't recall which) suggested Chevy may go with a carbon fiber body.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
  5. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Ford added a torsion bar in their tailgate, which weighs 100 lbs but reduces it to about 20lbs or so. The dampening systems are pretty much an extension of that overall idea. Ford also had a cargo management system for the 2004-2008 F150, but it was a rare "contractor" truck option.

6. BKW Founding Member

As I recall, F150 didn't have the dampened tailgate until 2005, but the 2005 Titan was introduced first.

I bought a new 2004 F150 Lariat 5.4L 2WD Stuper Crew. I read thru the brochure beforehand, don't recall a cargo management system.

The Titan system consisted of heavy cast aluminum rails located along the R/L inside of the box, came with 4 cleats with holes in them that attached to the rails.

Also came with the spray-in bedliner, a lockable tool compartment on the left rear quarter panel...behind the rear wheel.

7. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

San Antonio, Texas, June 25-26, 2003 - I was at the 2004 Ford F150 Ride and Drive event. I specifically mention the torsion bar assist in the article I wrote. I won't link it here, as I don't want to link to them, but do a google search on "2004 Ford F150 Ride And Drive - Ford-Trucks" (include the quotation marks in the search). You'll see the article I wrote. Ignore the first 2004 date in the article, that was from when I moved it to the article system, the 2003 date is a little further down. Reading it again, my recollection of the force needed appears to have been wrong. It's 28 lbs to lift the 100 lb tailgate without the bar, 13-14lbs with it.

Ford beat them to it.

On the cargo management it seems my memory was wrong --- Ford's cargo management system was first available for the 2007 model year. Here are photos from the press event before the truck was available to the public, along with some other options like the tool boxes built into the bed:
    2007 HD F150 and Dearborn Trip 116.jpg #ad
    2007 HD F150 and Dearborn Trip 117.jpg #ad
    2007 HD F150 and Dearborn Trip 124.jpg #ad
    2007 HD F150 and Dearborn Trip 129.jpg #ad
    2007 HD F150 and Dearborn Trip 130.jpg #ad
    2007 HD F150 and Dearborn Trip 131.jpg #ad
    2007 HD F150 and Dearborn Trip 132.jpg #ad
    2007 HD F150 and Dearborn Trip 135.jpg #ad

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  8. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

PS - that 2007 event was a blast... taking an F150 around the Ford proving grounds track at 110 mph with NASCAR driver Rick Crawford (really nice guy, btw). I didn't get a photo of the speedo at 110 mph, I was too busy taking pictures in front of the truck of the track, but got one at 100 after we came out of the curve, started slowing down and I got my whits together enough to try and sneak a photo of the speedo, lol. Rick said we weren't supposed to take the turns that fast which is why I had to do it on the sly! 2007 HD F150 and Dearborn Trip 226.jpg #ad

He had that truck hugging the rail!

2007 HD F150 and Dearborn Trip 230.jpg #ad
    2007 HD F150 and Dearborn Trip 233.jpg #ad

Look at the smile on the man's face. He enjoys speed, even if it's not NASCAR speeds! I get the feeling if Ford didn't have so many people there he would have taken it much faster.

9. Upland Bird Hunter Founding Member

10. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

It's the same issue the 1997-2003 F150 had... the extended cab has a much longer distance between the A-pillar and the back of the door opening, making it much easier to collapse.

They addressed this with the 2004-2014, I'm surprised they didn't do it with the 2015.

11. caly350 Founding Member

2007 ad....plenty of ads over the next few years.

Truck didn't sell because of spotty repair history and lack of configurations early on.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
virtuoso