The Camera That Sees Where You Can’t - Youtube

Discussion in '2015 - 2020 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by FTZ HAIC, Aug 17, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

2. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

I think that, for the most part, this is one of those things that you never wished you had. But, could find a use for it once you have it.

My brother's Odyssey has cameras in the mirrors that activate with the turn signals. IMPO, it is pretty distracting. If you need the camera display on your dash to show what you are running over...its too late. I would rather that people keep looking where they are going.

3. Campspringsjohn Founding Member

My wife has a 2012 subaru forester with a backup camera. The rare times she uses it is when seeing how close she is when backing up to someone, and to avoid running over our cats. Even then, she still needs room to get behind the car to open the hatch and get stuff out! A friend of mine installed a camera behind his dodge so he can hook up his camper to his truck by himself without hitting anything. He actually unhooks by pulling the pin in the receiver and leaving the entire weight distribution hitch on the camper tongue. And when hooking back up, he can get the hitch and receiver lined up perfectly.

4. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

Just another creation to distract drivers, I put a back up camera in my panel thinking it would be a great help because of the blind spots but never seem to use it.

5. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

It depends on the truck and your uses. My F150, for instance, the bed is 4 inches deeper than the F250's, and previous generation trucks. Not a problem for me because I park it in my shop building in the back yard, and there is never anything behind it. Now if I parked it in the house's garage or driveway, and had little kids who left things around all the time, a backup camera might be useful. I don't tow with it, except the one time I had to tow the F250 home when the HPOP gave out.

But I'm about to look for another F150, an older one, that I can use for occasional towing. The majority of the time I'll be hitching it I'll be by myself so I'm going to install a backup camera. I don't like jerking around heavy trailer tongues... you know those times when you get it close but it needs to be nudged. I've had one hernia repaired, have back problems and I'm getting too old for that crap!

6. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

I installed a back up camera on my box truck.
    I made it so it can be on all the time. I have a 4x7" monitor on the dash
    It is a big asset.

It's also pretty cool when you can watch the look on some idiot's face when you brake check him............After he's screwed with you for the last 20 minutes.:joyful:

FTZ HAIC and 56panelford like this.
  7. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

Back up cameras are great. All vehicles should have them retro-fit if they don't already have one. Hell, I use my Polaris 800 to pull & launch twin Wave Runners and 12' utility trailer around the Boat Club where my lake house is. Might even put one on that since the hitch is just slightly under the bed.

Its the side mirror mounted cameras that I don't get. Mini mirror mounted missiles would offer a more viable purpose. Sonsabitches around here keep cutting me off or pulling out in front of me and I just have a 5 - 8 minute drive to the shop.

8. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

There are probably a few circumstances where it might be useful, but it's probably pretty rare. Rare enough I can't think of any time I'd need it. I guess you'd need to be very dimensional challenged and not know where the sides of your trucks are... but the side mirrors take care of that! Heck, they are adjustable enough that on the freeway I've aimed them down and inwards enough to see if a leaky rear tire was still holding enough air (time sensitive road trip, couldn't stop to get it patched!).

9. KingRanch01 Vet Zone

Lowes, lowes lowes what we're they thinking while making the handicap parking spaces! I have to use the front and back camera's depending which direction I'm parking just to get close enough to the pole and sign to fit my truck in the space so not to stick out in the drive.

If equipped the under mirror cameras help with the lane keeping assist while driving on long trips to keep you safe in your lane if to fall asleep. Great safety feature but I'm sure taking breaks would do the same thing.

10. V10 NUT

Too many camera views ,too much time spent watching camera displays and not where one is going, doing. Distracted driving???? Just my opinion.

1970something likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >