The Horrible Hacks People Do With Their Cars And Trucks....

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by FTZ HAIC, Aug 5, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

This is one from a thread a couple of years back in SCT's dealer forums. A (non-)customer wanted a friend of mine who's also an SCT tuner to tune this Mustang he had eh hem, "added" a supercharger to. Look at this work of art, it's unbelievably bad, especially to those of you familiar with supercharger setups:
    IMG95201305309517083795292.jpg #ad
    IMG95201305309517082695998.jpg #ad
    IMG95201305309517081395091.jpg #ad

Obviously my friend told the guy he wouldn't touch it. We had 5 pages of laughter on SCT's site discussing this particular car.

If any of you have stories of what you've see done to vehicles, especially if you have pictures, share it!

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

The list of some of what's wrong with that setup...

1. Not enough belt wrap on the supercharger. He'll get no boost.
    2. Belt routed wrong.
    3. No belt tensioner.
    4. Hard to see but in the 3rd picture the radiator fins are smashed.
    5. No lines connected to the AC compressor.
    6. The mangled hood cutting job.
    7. Use of a pulley from something else as a spacer for the supercharger pulley.
    8. Down below the power streering pump there's a piece of white cardboard with writting on it, function unknown. Hard to see in the photo.
    9. Shop vac tube hood prop.
    10. No radiator overflow.
    11. The miniture Jordan's hanging from the mirror are icing on the cake.

3. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

I like the slice and dice on the hood too.

I bet the "booster boxx" the blower is sitting on is pretty costly to make too.
    Pretty good chuckkle to end a day that sucked. Thanks

4. pirahnah3 Founding Member

I can only just say wow......im just in awwee of his skills.

5. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

The thing about it is we appreciate someone who get's it done with what they got, to keep their car on the road, or build a project. I've been known to do it myself, especially when I was in my early 20's.

But this guy wasn't restoring, or keeping a car running on a limited budget, he was just throwing together parts with no sense of direction!

6. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

I've had customers try and get me to do that
    Starts with "I saw in the Street bllaa blaa magazine about tubbing front fenders
    Howzabout doin' mine?"
    Usually after I've blocked them flat, and sealed them

Ummmmmm. no

7. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

What the hell are the electrical tape wrapped butt-splices going to?.....................FAIL.

8. Paul Masley Founding Member

I would dare say that the butt splices are for the fan. With no a/c, why is the condenser still there with mashed fins blocking the airflow and the compressor dragging the belt? I really love that no support frame hood. Bet it sails through the windshield shortly.

9. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Did some further reading in the thread in the dealer site instead of just the first post to refresh my memory.

Turns out my friend did eventually say yes and tuned it. He actually managed to get 6lbs of boost with that no belt-tensioner, no belt wrap setup. My friend said he was able to get a safe tune that won't grenade the engine but how long it will last from a hardware setup is up in the air. This friend of mine used to work for my shop back in the day when we were heavy in SCT/Diablo/Superchips, then went on to work for SCT, and is now involved in reverse engineering OEM tunes for HP Tuners. He's very good at Mustang PCM tuning (my forte is the trucks) and getting even that horrible setup to run proves it. It's been a couple of years, it would be interesting to follow up to see how the car is now.

10. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

This front end has a rear end on it.... :)

ed80184a09a31d2890fa7c05d529a364.jpg #ad

JWC 3 likes this.
  11. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

He has got no "BELT WRAP" on the A/C compressor either - that set up is doomed.

If I were to set a tensioner in place - it would be right about where that shiny strut is that holds the gen/alt in place.

He's also got the air intake filter right in the worst place in the whole engine bay - dead next to the headers on that side so it will surely suck up hot air.

That's a cold air fail right there.

The charge that will suck into the cylinders is guaranteed to pre-detonate long before the plugs have a chance to time it, and any amount of boost will ensure that cold air/fuel is vital.

Why do I have this image in my imagination of a stupid guy saying:

"Aah kin built me a race car! Uh-huh! Uh-huh..."

What you just showed us is best described as mechanical profanity. It actually makes me sick to look at that...

What a waste of parts.

PS: I would term the splices as "BUTT HEAD" splices, they are what you do when you dunno jack about how to solder or repair wires the right way. Crap like that is so amateur it makes me wince everytime I see it.

Dude obviously does not know about welding, soldering, or structural integrity.

But I'm guessing a "SAWS ALL" is a familiar tool.

*BANGS HAMMER*
    ~Next case please ....

(He states, in a bored way)

NOTE: With a charger like that, the colder the air going in the better, because there is NO chance of intercooling. The best way to cool the air fuel charge is to compress it and THEN run it through an intercooler box. With that setup, if the air is not cold when it comes in, there is no chance of further cooling because it is sent right down into the intake(s)

If it is hot to begin with and then COMPRESSED (making it hotter) the chances are that no fuel on earth is high enough in octane to prevent pre-ignition.

It's an ALCOHOL burner setup

That's the only fuel I can think of that needs that.

Pump gas has it's limits. The point at which it combusts is the octane measure.
    *OCTANE is the measure of a fuel to resist combustion due to heat and pressure
    (remember that, it's plot material)

Several things happen in an engine, the air/fuel charge is compressed which multiplies it's temperature, and the engine itself is at a fixed temperature.. The heat of the air/fuel charge is at a fixed temperature. The intake air and fuel can be changed by cooling in many ways - such as an intercooler which lowers the heat AFTER leaving a turbo or super charger.. But the basic is that heat is raised by compressin within the cylinders to a point CLOSE to the combustion point.

What is necessary to ensure that the combustion takes place at the right time is a spark impulse that fires it - this is how engines normally operate.

But when the air and fuel are pre-compressed to levels that will be compounded by the pistons and cylinders action, you must have a way to reduce the temperature that they gain - otherwise the magnification of the temperature due to compression results in spontaneous combustion due to heat and pressure before the ignition system can act.

*The common term for that is detononation or knocking.. You experience that with low grade fuels. PEMEX will do that every time and stink like sulphur

And that is why "INTERCOOLERS" came into being

They cool the air after it leaves the turbo or supercharger, so that it enters the cylinders at a reasonable temperature to work, and before fuel mixing happens - EVEN THOUGH they are at a much higher pressure and density

Ya know what? In every thread about a bad thing there is a goldmine of information to learn, isn't there?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
  12. Paul Masley Founding Member

13. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

here is a hack job .
    0810151544.jpg #ad

Bubba fixed his AC ! This Freightliner is in my shop as I type ... overheating .
    wonder why the ac was cutting off ......

dustybumpers and Paul Masley like this.
  14. Paul Masley Founding Member

I wonder why too! Damn, that repair is gonna cost his ass. LOL

15. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Greywolf, my aging eyes don't handle microtype well, lol.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >