The nature of the smaller chassis Ford Truck Forum

Discussion in 'Ranger, Explorer, Bronco II and Sport Trac Forum' started by Greywolf, May 15, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

We need to think about what it will one day become, as we not only have older models such as the Courier to think about, but also newer versions as FOMOCO comes out with advanced models.

Oh yeah - this is not over yet! What if a version of a Gemini comes out that is like a small utility vehicle used in plants, or something?

I knew that FALCON UTES were wikkid looking - but didn't know they were the size of a half ton - what if FORD made a Falcon-like small truck? A Ranger - but with wild FALCON UTE styling?

We don't know what the future holds

All I'm saying is that we should plan today for what comes tomorrow....

One of the notions I had at the back of my mind was to put a MUSTANG front clip on a V8 Ranger. That would look remarkably similar to a Falcon UTE but be lighter and faster...

(It's a dream of mine - like a Shelby)

But if we name the truck types in threads like this - it will be simpler for KP to split the threads into new subforums later.

~ Just saying.

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

No plans to cover the Courier since it's a Ford in name only, no Ford DNA. If and when we need to cover a vehicle we'll cover it, so long as it's within our primary focus, but I am not worried about it at this point, thread prefixes have been created for those we cover now.

3. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Hold up there, Ken!
    Later Couriers came with the venerable 2.3 4cyl Lima Ford engine...............A LOT of Ford DNA there.

56panelford likes this.
  4. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I'm trying avoid being all things to all people, getting away from our primary focus. Courier, Ranchero, Falcon UTE, etc. never really worked.

5. BKW Founding Member

The 2.3L Lima's DNA is German, imported from the Cologne assembly plant.

Most of the members that post in the 1961/67 Econoline & Ranchero forum on FTE have Econolines.

Ranchero's are the red headed step children.

UTE's were only sold "down under."

Last edited: May 16, 2015
  6. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

So I take it the focus is North America at least for now?

The 2.3 was originally the prime mover for the Capri, wasn't it?

And if memory serves - it was a Eurocar. Mercury brought it over (so to speak) in the early seventies. The early V6 engines they had had a rocker arm assembly that frankly sucked. I remember a guy at Import Auto Center in El Cajon once soaked a couple of sets in the carb tank at night, and in the end ran a separate oil line because there was no good way to get all the carbonified gunk out of the insides of them...

*Oil came up into a center tube, and in there it became like a valley cover. Grossness beyond removal.

PS: I'd almost KILL for a Ranchero - any Ranchero. But a neighbor of my Pop once had a '64 - '66 Falcon based Ranchero - I've had disgusting fantasies about that car ever since, and the guy didn't know what he had.

7. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

The German made 2.0 version of the Lima was the base in early Capri's made 120+hp and moved out with authority (quite spirited in a Pinto w/4spd) the later 2.3s made here were lucky to make 88hp, and did not improve until EFI rolled around and got them up around 115+hp.
    I have little experience with the 2.6 Cologne V-6 in Capri's but if it was sent from the Fatherland in THEIR config. it must have been fun!
    I have TONS of experience with the US version 2.8 Cologne V-6.................The average no maint. owner cannot own one.

56panelford likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
virtuoso