The Ranger And Bronco Is Coming Back!

Discussion in '2019 - 2024 Ford Ranger' started by FTZ HAIC, Nov 9, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

2. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

6c49736c335967de456c6fc637baa4d9._.jpg #ad

Does it remind of one of it's competitors ?

3. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

4. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

They share wide fender flares and a sweeping roof line, but the hood, grille and headlights are pretty different.

5. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

This is why I favor the car and trucks of the past, now a day I find myself circling a vehicle to see a name badge, they are all cookie cutters I find.

6. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

LOL, sometimes. They were about as different then as now, when you think about it. Trucks and cars in any given era had the same basic shapes, someone would think outside the box and then everyone would copy cat them. Sure, the grilles and headlights, and some styling hints were different... but they all were the same basic shapes.

Early 50s Chevy, Ford, Dodge and Studebaker trucks... all had a raised hood, fat fenders up front, step side bed with rounded fenders.
    Bel Air's and Fords of the same era. Similar.
    Early Corvette and Thunderbird
    Late 60s/early 70s Chevy and Ford trucks... all squared off.
    1960-mid 60s Dodge trucks, design queues from the 1957-1960 Ford F100.
    70s Lincolns and Caddies, many similarities
    Continentals and Devilles.
    Ranchero... El Camino
    Mustang II... Vega
    and so on

7. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Not a fan of the styling..................But I'm not a fan of anyone's styling anymore.

Be nice to see the Ranger back though.

8. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

There was certainly similarities but you knew what was a Ford ,what was a Dodge and what was a Chevy, I don't think so today, they all look like they got unloaded from offshore. To me it looks like there is a small group of designers working for the whole lot.

OldjunkFords likes this.
  9. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

To me its all a matter of perspective, and what vehicles we pay attention to. Nostalgia, I'm guessing, plays a part in what you like and notice. For others, older cars have zero appeal. For me, its a little of everything. My list of vehicles I'd love to have and work on crosses all lines... a Super Beetle, a T-bucket, a 56 Big window F100, a 66 F100, a 74 Camaro split bumper, the 2004-2008 F150 (if done right), a 2000-2004 Harley Davidson F150, an 80s Mazda RX7.

Consider that you grew up knowing what's Ford, what's Dodge, what's Chevy and seeing what each company put out. Someone who did not grow up with those cars, and knows nothing about them, can't tell the difference.

People who pay attention to modern cars and trucks notice the differences.

I can tell right off the new Ranger is a Ford, not a Chevy. Maybe you don't notice it, but I spot it immediately.... the accent body line across the bottom of the body screams Ford truck. The diamond shaped grille... says Ford. Chevy car's (and the Colorado) V shaped grille says Chevy. etc. The front end of a Ram truck is 100% Dodge. Ford F150... square grilles with horizontal slots. Chevy and GM full size trucks... wide rectangle grilles. Fords trucks have rounded fender flares while GM/Chevy are more squared off.

Imports...
    Toyota cars... line across the headlights through the small upper horizontal grille is shaped like a smile, and a huge lower grille opening that's flat across the bottom, with diagonal corners across the top.

And so on.

10. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

Not wanting to argue, but for many years now I can only distinguish the full size pickups apart, as far as the SUV's and cars I need to see the badges they sport to tell who the maker is.

11. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I can respect that you see it differently. Some things we'll agree on, others not. Good chat though! :)

Back to the Ranger, keep in mind that Ranger may or may not be the one we end up with, since it's the international version. I wouldn't be surprised if they make a few changes to the grill on the North American version to make it more along the family lines of the F150 and Super Duty.

12. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

It was kind of funny, the wife walked in behind while I was viewing this thread and she asked me if the was an Avalanche...lol I said no, it's the proposed new Ford Ranger. First impressions are deceiving.

13. bigrigfixer Article Contributor Founding Member Canadian Chapter

I haven't read the articles yet, but I wonder if bringing the Ranger back has anything to do with the F150 and Superduty lines being "merged" in '17?

Edit to add:

Okay, I read them. So it's just to fill production holes and keep the union happy.

I'd be happy to see both on the road though, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. If they do in fact go into production, and are available for sale in the domestic market, I might be able to convince my wife she "needs" a Bronco, or even the crew cab Ranger. I've had to move to a bigger truck for towing, so there's no downsizing for me, but to have a Ranger or Bronco in the family would be great.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  14. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I'd buy a crew Ranger. I have two full size trucks, don't need another. :happy:

15. Upland Bird Hunter Founding Member

Consider this...back in the day we could tell what make the vehicle was AT NIGHT! The location of the headlights sometimes the angle and after 1969 another clue was the shape and location of the parking lights (parking lights stayed on with the headlights in 1969 circa IIRC).

Another factor, the sheer number of manufacturers, yes in North America we no longer have AMC, Olds, Pontiac, Mercury, Plymouth and if I ruminated long enough I may think of others but since the late '60s we have Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Hyundai (in the '80s)' KIA in the '90s plus all their luxury lines.

I doubt they are designed by the same design group BUT the EPA dictates fuel economy and everyone is using CAD/CAM engineering which limits creativity. Tail fins are gone, sorry.

56panelford likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >