The Ranger The Usa Should Have

Discussion in '2019 - 2024 Ford Ranger' started by FTZ HAIC, Jul 14, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Mazda's new BT-50, won't be available in the USA:

1340133483300358827.jpg #ad

A four door mid-sized Ranger is perfect for the US market, but I bet Ford is afraid it will eat into very profitable F-150 sales.

Tags:
  2. Grudge Match Founding Member

I don't like the front end it looks like a car. The rest of it is great.

3. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Nice truck, but it wouldn't interest me. Too small.
    I like my explorer for that size hauling.

4. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Looks like a honda and a yota had a affair and pooched out a illegitimate ugly kid..............pass.

5. Paul Masley Founding Member

That was not an affair, it was an abortion!

6. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Its not the look, it's what it is:

4 door mid-sized Ford (Mazda truck)
    Turbo diesel engine
    4x4 climb assist/hill launch and decent control
    Traction control
    backup camera
    cab and chassis versions, much like the Super Duty has here!
    6-speed manual and automatic transmissions
    Front air bags, side air bags and side curtain air bags
    Emergency brake assist
    Adaptive load control
    Locker differential
    Trailer sway control
    346 ft/lbs of torque (in a small truck!)
    7716 lb tow capacity

If Ford sold these here they would severely undercut F150 sales.

7. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Putting the dizzzzle in it changes my opinion.................

8. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Emergency brake assist is some cool stuff, no matter how good a driver any of us think we are. On a trip back from Georgia in a rental car with it, someone at a cross street pulled across the road right in front of me, it was very close. Before I could even take my foot off the gas to hit the brakes the car is braking. I'll never know if it saved us from a wreck or if I could have hit the brakes in time, but I'm glad it was there. As soon as the crossing car cleared the lane the brake assist turned off ... my foot was on the pedal by then.

9. bigrigfixer Article Contributor Founding Member Canadian Chapter

7716 lb tow capacity? Damn... I'm impressed. I wonder if the rumoured Ranger will have similar specs?

10. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I believe we're about to see another shift in the truck market. Between the Ranger coming back (possibly) and the 2016+ Titan having a frame between that of a 1/2 and 3/4 ton, plus Titan and Ram both having diesels in their 1/2 tons --- the market competition is going to heat up again like it was in the early to mid 2000s before fuel prices went up.

11. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

I would have no use for the smaller trucks but, Ford had better get on it or they will be real late to the dance.

12. pirahnah3 Founding Member

I would love to have those as some replacements for my run about trucks that do small jobs and mostly run around work. I can agree that they will never replace my larger trucks in my fleet however they would certainly be nice to have in the fleet.

13. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I have no use for large trucks except for hauling my camper and boat, which my F-250 fills admirably.................But, every other job I have is handled just as admirably by my 2 Rangers.
    You are indeed correct KW, Ford needs to get with it and compete in the small truck market or they will lose in a big way.............not everyone wants a bloated, heavy F-150 to do everyday mundane chores.

14. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

Honestly, I shouldn't even have a truck. If I really, really, needed one I could always rent one. But, I like sitting where can see the road better. I will definitely sell the 2005 company truck when the lease runs out on my Navigator and go with a new truck. Lose two and pick up one. Pun intended. ;)

If they don't screw up, Ford can hit a home run with a new Ranger. They damned sure made a good one.

That Mazda looks girlie though....

15. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

I look at it in terms of a small load hauler, and also (more important to my view) a potential sport truck.
    But that look is dismal, way too Japanesque. They should look to Australia, and the Falcon UTE for style:
    [​IMG]#ad

I swear, if I can once get ahead of things I am going to look for what Mustang front clip items are compatable with a Ranger cab, and weld up a chopped and lowered version!

But this I have also said before - that a "MICRO-TRUCK" option people could live with is also a good idea, and a vacuum in the FORD line. The USA has never had anything along the lines of a Thames Anglia delivery available, and with the fuel price parity we experience now it's about time a manufacturer that wasn't Asian cooked up something competitive, but attractively styled.

Something with a 1600 or smaller cc engine that did not look like it came from either Hyundai or Peugot
    -and I'm not talking about a "Plant Utility Vehicle" or a golf cart, but something fun to drive.

BASELINE: 1600cc, 4V 6 or 7 speed geartrain, and somewhere around 1500 - 2000 GVW

*Mustang and Ranger currently weigh in at 2500 to 2900 for comparison

I AM NOT POOPING ON THE IDEA, but that thing looks like a downsized Avalanche. True hotrodders would laugh at it.
    What on earth could you do to customize that front end so that it looked aggressive, rather than "RHINO-like"?

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >