the rattletrap, my 494,000 mile F-SuperDuty

Discussion in '1987 - 1991 Ford F150, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by 1970something, Mar 8, 2016.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

stupid truck decided it did not want to shut off yesterday afternoon when i pulled it over to the shop to unload one of the gas powered welders i had in the bed for winter storage.
    i guess it decided the 25 year old diesel fuel can gum up the fuel shut off switch.
    oh well, there is only about 10 gallons of the old stuff left, might as well put some fresh stuff in and fill the fuel filter up with ATF to break up the gum..
    ended up having to pinch the fuel line before the E pimp to starve it.

so today i went out and dumped about a gallon of old ATF in the fuel tank, then went to pull ht efuel filter to fill it with ATF.
    dang kids decided to hide all 6 of my filter wrenches.
    so of to the parts store to get another one. get the filter off, fill with ATF, ......and NO START!!!
    dumb ass forgot he ran the truck out of fuel to shut it off yesterday.
    then ran down the batteries that were low to start with trying to prime it.
    so pulled the 02 over and slapped the jumpers cables on it.
    turned the key on for 3 minutes to shut the glow plugs off, and gave it a whiff of ether. fired rite up, and died.
    gave it another whiff, this time about 2 seconds worth, and got it fired up. let it run for 40 seconds and turned the key of, then revved it and let off and it shut off, and put the battery charger on.
    going to leave it sit for a few days then see if i need to refill the filter.

Tags:
  2. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

purpose of all this is to finish the restoration i started 3 years ago before i destroyed my left leg.
    the truck has been relegated to back up snow plow 8 years ago when i got the 02 because the cab had severe rot.
    in the past 8 years it has only plowed, and then only around 120 miles.
    3 years ago when i pulled the bed and cleaned and painted the frame, i got everything behind the cab finished. i was getting ready to pull the cab to do the front of the frame and reseal the engine when i got hurt, and parked it.

3. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

It sat for 25 years with the same diesel in it? It might also have absorbed a lot of water over that time. I'd just drain the whole damn thing and start with fresh fuel. Hows the water separator looking?

4. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Those switches go bad on that IDI pump all the time.
    Usually they blow up in the "off" position, sometimes the on
    I would replace the switch on top of the pump

I have been running my 92 on 3/4 used motor oil/diesel mix. it runs fine, and don't smoke.

5. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

no Ken, it has only been in it for 10 years since i retired the truck from daily use to reserve snow plow. . the fuel itself is around 25 years old. the property where the 1500 gallon tank was got sold in 05, and i filled the truck up just before the property was sold. by then there was only around 50 gallons left in the tank.
    the guy had the tank filled and then retired. he never used it, so i paid him $1 per gallon for it.
    then filled the truck up every time i went there. this is still 60 cetane high sulfur fuel.

6. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

hows the shoulder doing Charlie?

7. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

MRI thurs will tell the tale
    Hurts pretty good/bad. ( depends on what frame of mind I'm in )

My bet, I'm going to be getting some rebuilding soon

8. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

my bet is the wife is going to have the doctor put training wheels and air bags on you while they have you out.

9. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

.......She was talking about putting her name on all my trucks yesterday.......

I wonder if I should be worried?

10. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

i think you are past the point of worrying .
    might as well just go out back and dig the hole for her.

11. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

dug a 6' x 4' x 6' footing down in the woods yesterday. not sure what we're gonna build there.......

12. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

cold storage.

13. Campspringsjohn Founding Member

Has she taken out any added life insurance on you recently?

14. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

like she would admit to that John?

Janet may have been dumb for marrying Charlie, but she ain't stoopid!!!

15. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

She just ask me how many trucks my buddy Tom has........

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
virtuoso